Battlefield 3's Caspian Border map opens to PC beta testers

Jos

Staff

With just three days before the Battlefield 3 multiplayer beta comes to an end, DICE community manager Ian Tornay has announced that they're opening up the 64-player, vehicle-filled Caspian Border map over the weekend to do some load testing. Previously, the map was available only as part of a private beta on password protected servers.

Also see: Battlefield 3 Beta GPU & CPU Performance Test

The test will be for PC gamers only as DICE is specifically testing 64-player server configurations -- console versions of Battlefield 3 will support only 24 simultaneous players. The developer also dropped a reminder that Battlefield 3 is still in beta, and as such users may experience crashes, network instability and outages. DICE will take the opportunity to fine tune its servers and says that your experience with the beta is not necessarily indicative of the final product.

In related news, AMD has rolled out a second Catalyst 11.10 preview driver just in time for the weekend. The latest release improves Battlefield 3 performance for Radeon HD 6000 and HD 5000 series cards in standard and CrossFire configurations with or without anti-Aliasing enabled. It also improves performance in Rage and fixes a few errors in the game, including a flickering issue and intermittent crashing when loading levels.

The Catalyst 11.10 v2 driver is available here for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. The full Battlefield 3 game is scheduled for an October 25 launch in the U.S. and October 28 across Europe.

Permalink to story.

How bout us xbox users. Metro...is not exactly the best map, especially to give people a taste of your game.

amazing!?
(warning i'm about to post extreme hate rant)
way to make the console owners not feel left out which by the way are what make up most of your buyers
**** this!
(still buying the game though)

^ u stupid boiiiii?

95% of bf3 pre orders are on pc and not consoles

dont know what ur smoking but im very happy they are not throwing caspian border out for consoles, AND i can almost garantee you that its not even going to come to consoles as EA said consoles only get 32 player maps and caspian border is 64 players

so sit down, or buy a pc

^you stupid fanboiiiiii?
It doesnt matter, still could have given a better map to console users.

Extreme hate rant? Have you read all of the crap that Techspot has been posting about how the consoles are getting the post-launch tournaments and PC users are getting shat on? I think it is about time that the PC gamers get to have something exclusive for themselves.

Battlefield is and should be PC only, I honestly wish console got nothing! Imagine what BF3 would look like not held back by 360! ~Proud PC fanboiiiiiiiiii Can't wait to try this map!

So long as they fix the ***-load of bugs the beta has it'll be ok. But I get the feeling that all the console maps are going to be either smaller infantry based stuff that CoD does better or giant open vehicle maps that you can't find anyone on. Like BC2 all over again.

The servers lag pretty bad. I have low ping, but I'm "rubber banding"...walking forward then getting pulled back in like 3 second intervals.

I honestly am fine with PC getting something exclusive. I really don't care, not a fanboi of either. I was simply stating that xbox should get a better beta map because metro obviously is not the best choice.

I use PS3 and PC for games, however, any ***** can tell you that PC's are at the forefront of technology. To build anything around an inferior product is just plain stupid, and aimed at only one common denominator, ignorence. The younger gaming generation will except much less in terms of quality gameplay and graphic innovation, hence the unfortunate mass production of crap these days.

Granted, as the numbers speak louder than anyones opinion, consoles make developers and publishers more money. And this is afterall mostly the point, my frustration is, that I KNOW as a PC gamer in the begginings, along with other original pc gamers, it is I who have supported these dev's from the start. And games like Battlefied that originated on PC should indeed ALWAYS be built around the PC. Not only to gain the benefits of technoloy, but as a reward for the people who aloud your company to actually continue making games! Not the ignorant shits that will pay $100 or more of their parents money just so they can intermitt there jerking off!

Now if somebody could have a word with ID software, we may again be pleasured with some genuinly brilliant PC games as DICE, in my opinion, are bringing to the table now. Thankyou for being loyal to your loyal fans. It will benefit everyone, not just PC users!

While I'm happy that they finally brought Caspian back for testing, all servers since this morning have been getting pounded with a rubber band like lag which makes it extremely difficult to play. I get that they are stress testing the servers, but man wish I could actually play on them :) .

All of you need to calm down. First off, the PC is the lead platform which means that the consoles come second with this type of thing, even though they got a little greedy with the PS3 dlc deal. Secondly if any of you played the BC2 beta you'd know that even though it had a T-90 and an Apache, it still got old after the 300th time.
So calm down, the game will be out soon enough so you can take your 12 on 12 combat while we have our 32 on 32. If you don't want to be left out then get a decent job, save some money, and spend it on a decent 900-1100 dollar system.

I think it's fair to be honest. Consoles have access to the tournament, PS3 are getting DLC early, only fair the PC get something exclusive too even if it's just an extra beta map. They have to do testing for max players on the PC cause it's the mode that's likely going to cause the biggest problems with the server.

You guys do realise that Ps3 and Xbox are getting Caspian Border aswell as all the other maps pc gets they are just a bit smaller the pc gets 64 player caspian while ps3/box gets it as 24 or 34 players. Hence they are both getting all the same maps only advantage is that ps3 gets the dlc 'Back to kankard' almoust right away while others will have to wait >,>

Besaids you people need to understand that shooter games are always ment for PC, the concole versions are made for those who cant afford to update pc drivers to run modern games. Shooter games envole over pc, why? Simply cos majority plays pc so ofc they satisfy the pc gamers by giving them wide 64 player maps. Should they give those maps for concoles they would have around 3-4 maps full and then rest would miss players thats why concoles get maps 50% smaller than the pc version of the map as well as max player cap from 24 to 34. This way concole players get to be happy aswell you need to realise that concole controls for Jets,Helis,Tanks,Trucks,Jeeps etc are all messed up and not as perfect as pc can offer. And thats why concole also gets 50% less vehicles there was a teaser for one larger map for ps3 they had 2 tanks 2 Anti aircraft tanks 1 jeep 1 heli for that map while same map teaser for pc had 4 tanks 4 anti 2 jeeps 4 helis why? Cos pc has more players thus more **** to drive and do.

You all just need to accept the fact that shooter games are ment for pc.

like #14 poster has said, PC will be the lead platform DICE/EA will cater to in respect to dlc or other goodies prior to ps3 or xbox. I, being a ps3 user, am content with whatever DICE/EA puts out for us. Kudos to PC users for getting to be lead platform.....I'm enjoying the beta so far and anxiously await the release of the actual game. Great game and blows away anything CoD has put out, in respect to graphics and gameplay.

Poor console-port. If BF was purely made for PC, would be just perfect nowadays. Instead, we get all the crap due to console limitations and their stupid gameplay.

Anyway, the game won't come out perfect. It's gonna have a ton of bugs. Until the end of the year, if it will be 75% optimised, I'll be happy.

Last but not least, Frostbite engine certainly has fundamentally deep problems. Cannot create a game without its terrible lag. BF3 is even worse than BFBC2 in this case. BF3 has even inherit the same bugs BFBC2 currently STILL HAS, like aiming-cross disappearing or when you kill sometimes, the body pops 30 meters away... It's like a BC3 much improved, though. There's isn't sequel that we've seen so much improvement.

Guest said:
You guys do realise that Ps3 and Xbox are getting Caspian Border aswell as all the other maps pc gets they are just a bit smaller the pc gets 64 player caspian while ps3/box gets it as 24 or 34 players. Hence they are both getting all the same maps only advantage is that ps3 gets the dlc 'Back to kankard' almoust right away while others will have to wait >,>

Besaids you people need to understand that shooter games are always ment for PC, the concole versions are made for those who cant afford to update pc drivers to run modern games. Shooter games envole over pc, why? Simply cos majority plays pc so ofc they satisfy the pc gamers by giving them wide 64 player maps. Should they give those maps for concoles they would have around 3-4 maps full and then rest would miss players thats why concoles get maps 50% smaller than the pc version of the map as well as max player cap from 24 to 34. This way concole players get to be happy aswell you need to realise that concole controls for Jets,Helis,Tanks,Trucks,Jeeps etc are all messed up and not as perfect as pc can offer. And thats why concole also gets 50% less vehicles there was a teaser for one larger map for ps3 they had 2 tanks 2 Anti aircraft tanks 1 jeep 1 heli for that map while same map teaser for pc had 4 tanks 4 anti 2 jeeps 4 helis why? Cos pc has more players thus more **** to drive and do.

the flaws in the post are so obvious. To start, if halo kicked off the FPS genre, why was it originally on xbox? shooter games first kicked off on consoles. Not saying they don't work better for PCs, but seriously.

xclusiveitalian said:
Battlefield is and should be PC only, I honestly wish console got nothing! Imagine what BF3 would look like not held back by 360! ~Proud PC fanboiiiiiiiiii Can't wait to try this map!

BF3 was developed on the pc and then ported to consoles not the other way around so you are seeing what it really should look like if you play on PC.

ikesmasher said:
Guest said:

the flaws in the post are so obvious. To start, if halo kicked off the FPS genre, why was it originally on xbox? shooter games first kicked off on consoles. Not saying they don't work better for PCs, but seriously.
wtf are you smoking you ***** FPS games came out on PC ever heard of quake, duke nukem, castle wolfenstien serious sam and many many more that predate shitty halo game that came out in 2001?

"shooter games first kicked off on consoles."

Wrong. Shooter games started on the earliest of computers in the 1970's and built up their following via games like Doom, Castle Wolfenstein, Half-Life, etc. The first military (non sci-fi) shooter that really kicked off the genre is Battlefield 1942 which was a PC exclusive.

klepto12 said:
ikesmasher said:
Guest said:

wtf are you smoking you ***** FPS games came out on PC ever heard of quake, duke nukem, castle wolfenstien serious sam and many many more that predate shitty halo game that came out in 2001?

And the amount of FPS players nearly tripled with halo. rage more?

Back