Before their time: Watch as these teens react to Windows 95

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It's been more than 20 years since Bill Gates shared the stage with comedian Jay Leno to introduce the world to Windows 95. An awful lot has changed over the past two decades, so much so that today's youth are left scratching their heads as to how to use a PC loaded with the ancient OS (or why anyone would even want to).

As the young lady near the end of the clip correctly points out, it's not her fault that she was born after Windows 95. Nevertheless, it's quite entertaining for older generations like me to take in.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Man, this video just made me hate teens even more. Must be proof that I'm getting old.
"Watch x react to y" videos are dumb in general for exactly the same reason "reality" TV is dumb - point a camera at someone who knows they're being filmed and any "reactions" will be exaggerated for the sake of attention seeking / playing up to the camera.

Same reason I hate 'Let's Play' "celebrities" pulling faces & making silly noises in the corner of the screen, with the same fake exaggerated "I'm SO scared" hyper-reaction for yet another lame unscary horror game release vs "no camera, no commentary" walkthroughs...

Wow, makes me feel really old... 95 was all that and then some (as far as tech jump for Microsoft) coming from Tech Guy who started in PC world in 80's.

Image BBSing into Techspot on latest 1MHz XT upgraded with its very own Math Co-Processor on Phone Line connected to Hayes Modem - Or best invention yet for the PC, the Coffee Cup holder or otherwise known as the 1X CD ROM Drive...

Oh ya, its starting to all come back to me now...

Why would you need to tell a teenager something like "that's just the monitor..." after don't know how many tries?! Is the desktop computer so rare nowadays?

LOL, they think THIS was hard, try back in the windows 3.1/DOS days.
Oh the fun of editing config.sys/autoexec.bat, sound blaster drivers, comport IRQ's,
different himem.sys configurations to squeeze enough low/high memory so a flipping
DOS game would run properly.

Man, this video just made me hate teens even more. Must be proof that I'm getting old.

Oh yeah! Now you are motivated to figure out all the things you can do with your future grandkids to get back at their parents!!!

It's incredible how dumbfounded these teens are by a computer without WiFi, having to physically turn off the computer, having to wait in general seems to be too much to ask. Then mention the idea of DOS and they get scared or just assume they would have never used a computer because of it, the thing is, when it's the only way you have and know, you make it work. To look back at it now from the perspective of having never used command line, yeah it would be daunting as hell, but, at the same time it makes me glad to know how to use it today.

Good for a laugh, but they cherry pick the dumbest of the dumb for these things, at least I can only hope that's the case.

Oh yeah! Now you are motivated to figure out all the things you can do with your future grandkids to get back at their parents!!!
ub1ae4.jpg

The video is misleading. You can get on the internet with Windows 95 without a router, there is wifi available.

It's called the ALFA 036H adapter, with it's own driver that manages the network connections.

I did it recently just for kicks, although you have to use an old Opera browser for browsing.

Dos command lines, floppy disks might be the NEW security devices of this age.
Only anyone over pretty much 40 will know anything about it, even though I still
dig around with command line stuff from time to time.

LOL, they think THIS was hard, try back in the windows 3.1/DOS days.
Oh the fun of editing config.sys/autoexec.bat, sound blaster drivers, comport IRQ's,
different himem.sys configurations to squeeze enough low/high memory so a flipping
DOS game would run properly.

Do not forget cdrom driver and the ever present mscdex.exe driver to be able to use the drive. And mouse drivers. Some were huge (+20kbyte), while others were only a couple of kbytes. Important when your game required 600 kbyte base mem to run...

Those were the days, when a measly i386DX 25 MHz and a VLB Cirrus Logic gpu with 1Mb (yes, One megabyte) was all we needed...

Sometimes I actually miss the simplicity of it all...

It's incredible how dumbfounded these teens are by a computer without WiFi, having to physically turn off the computer, having to wait in general seems to be too much to ask. Then mention the idea of DOS and they get scared or just assume they would have never used a computer because of it, the thing is, when it's the only way you have and know, you make it work. To look back at it now from the perspective of having never used command line, yeah it would be daunting as hell, but, at the same time it makes me glad to know how to use it today.

Good for a laugh, but they cherry pick the dumbest of the dumb for these things, at least I can only hope that's the case.
Yea I agree, I watched this and while funny at some point I had to ask myself how some of these people do not know the difference between a monitor and the computer. Desktops still keep the on switch separate for them both so the fact they were trying to turn the monitor on thinking it would turn the desktop on made me sit there looking at these people wondering where they dug them up. Unless you have been raised on laptops your whole life (which schools still use desktops) then that should not be an issue.

The only thing I expected to confuse them was the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" part. That at least is something we have not seen for a very long time.

Wow, makes me feel really old... 95 was all that and then some (as far as tech jump for Microsoft) coming from Tech Guy who started in PC world in 80's.

Image BBSing into Techspot on latest 1MHz XT upgraded with its very own Math Co-Processor on Phone Line connected to Hayes Modem - Or best invention yet for the PC, the Coffee Cup holder or otherwise known as the 1X CD ROM Drive...

lol I started in the 70's, but I don't feel old, I feel like our generation is miles ahead of the kids today that seem totally clueless, it's like they have no parents, or if they do, they can't be bothered to share anything with their kids. I am glad my kids have the benefit of 2 parents that share their knowledge and skills as well as their values with them, just as my parents did for me and my wife's parents did for her.

The true horror would been only one computer and having to share! Waiting in que on dialup and being told to get off line so someone could use the phone. Oh I remember the fights the kids got into...

lol I started in the 70's, but I don't feel old, I feel like our generation is miles ahead of the kids today that seem totally clueless, it's like they have no parents, or if they do, they can't be bothered to share anything with their kids. I am glad my kids have the benefit of 2 parents that share their knowledge and skills as well as their values with them, just as my parents did for me and my wife's parents did for her.

THIS. This right here. The parents today are letting a smartphone raise their kids.

The true horror would been only one computer and having to share! Waiting in que on dialup and being told to get off line so someone could use the phone. Oh I remember the fights the kids got into...
I remember using a stand alone modem that you set the phone handset into in order to connect to the computer labs at the college for working on assignments. You had to set the baud rate of the computer you were calling so you needed a lot of information just to connect.

Back