BeOS sharing net connection with XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYOB

Probably not possible, but is there anyway BeOS can use a connection to the net made by a XP machine on the same network.... this is how I have started to connect to the net from my own machine, using the better quality modem in my Laptop to connect from my desktop.... makes the wireing messy but works.... I'm using BeOS EXP/Dano (thanks, Mic!), and I'm trying to connect to a dial-up connection made on a PCMCIA modem/NIC on a laptop. the BeOS machine is connected to it by a 100Mbps cross-over cable from its 3COM NIC.

It should/could work with 3rd party proxy server software in XP. XP's internal ICS doesn't work with non-M$ systems as far as I know.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
XP's internal ICS doesn't work with non-M$ systems as far as I know.

No, that's not true I am afraid.

If you enable internet connection sharing in windows 2000 or XP, the windows machine starts its own DHCP service and network address translation. This can be used by, I should think, any machine which understands TCP/IP. This is any machine that can use internet technology. I can't confirm but its entirely possible that even a non-PC platform like a Mac could use the connection as well. I certainly don't see any reason why not. I believe that anything with a TCP/IP stack could.

Certainly, I have a windows machine with two network cards, one connected to the internet via able modem and another connected to my home network. Machine on the home network do NOT have to be running a Microsoft OS in order to use the internet. Thusly, for example, a linux machine on my home network can share the internet connction as well with no problems. I just avoid setting a static IP address and instead configure the linux box to obtain an address dynamically.

I see no reason whatsoever why this should not be the same for BeOS and there should be no additional proxy software or such required. Look for a setting in TCP/IP properties on the BeOS machine such as "obtain an IP address dynamically" or "use DHCP to obtain an address" or something like that, and everything should be sweet. You might need a reboot or something perhaps on the BeOS machine but that should be about it.

So yes, this should work easily I believe.

Ok, thanks for the information :)

Originally posted by Phantasm66
You might need a reboot or something perhaps on the BeOS machine but that should be about it.
You don't need to reboot, just hit 'apply changes' ;)

Its fine now....

my dad 'borrowed' and old Hayes Accura external from work... well, they have a T3 now, they don't need 56K... it doesn't work in XP, oddly enough, but it goes fine in Be... as i am posting this in Mozilla 1.1B...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back