Best Buy employees purchase Wii U for teen who visited store every day to play Smash Bros.

midian182

Staff member

Here’s a story that has the potential to either restore your faith in humanity or finish it off completely. Last week, some employees at a Best Buy store in Valley Stream, New York, decided to purchase a Wii U for a teenage boy who they noticed was coming in every day to play Smash Bros. on a display model. The act of kindness was greeted with cynicism and vitriol by a large number of YouTube and Reddit commentators.

A video of the incident was caught on camera and posted to YouTube by Best Buy manager Rahiem Storr. As you can see, the gesture takes the teen by complete surprise; the worker has to convince him that it isn’t a prank and that the game console – warranty and all – is an early Christmas present from staff members.

“This kid came in every single day to play the display Wii U, the employees in this store saw an opportunity to make a child smile and did just that. They chipped in and purchased a Wii U for him with their own money. This is amazing, why shop at Amazon when you have genuine people in this world that you can continue to help keep a job,” Storr wrote on the YouTube page.

Storr added that one of the employees drove the boy home so he wouldn’t have to carry the console, which costs $300 for the bundle pack, back with him.

Unsurprisingly, a huge number of internet users were quick to pour scorn on the company's actions. In addition to the all-out racism, comments ranged from “he was probably in the store because of a bad home life,” to “it was a condescending act,” and that the whole thing was a publicity stunt orchestrated by Best Buy.

Refuting the claims, Storr said the boy’s “loving” parents were “beyond welcoming” when staff drove him home. The manager later made another video, which you can see below, where he responds to the hateful messages.

Permalink to story.

I'm happy for the kid and that was a very nice gesture on the stores part... That right there is how a decent person responds to a story like this. The trouble is we live in an age were everyone can voice an opinion, including those who are not so decent or just plain ugly inside... Thanks to the net we now get to see just how much ""ugly inside" there really is in the world... And that's just plain sad.

Definitely a touching story.

There was another one over the weekend where someone anonymously paid off all the lay away items to the tune of about $47K at a PA Walmart.

Thanks. Now I have to buy a 55inch Tv, a reclining sofa, a lot of games, snacks like popcorn and soda, and dont forget the electricity. No need to do house choir and do my assignments.

Kidding aside, Im glad I was born before this so called millennial generation. I was able to enjoy metallica, oasis, playing outdoors with other kids, and just being with nature. I hope all will go well with him. Still, Id rather see him join a club and wished his dad will do this giving instead.

"why shop at Amazon when you have genuine people in this world that you can continue to help keep a job"

Because I live in Brazil.

What I thought of in order (since being an ex-store owner) was it was 1) a pay-off to keep the machine open for demos since "banning" a kid looks bad 2) free feel-good publicity (actually HAVE done that lol) 3) actual real genuine gesture.

Last edited:
Super nice gesture. When they post this stuff, they should simply disable comments so that the autistic nutjobs can't crap all over it.

Good on them but I got the distinct impression this kid enjoyed his BestBuy visits. Could be for a number of reasons. Bad home life, loneliness... The only thing I wished was the employee to stop saying 'So you don't have to come here all the time'. I think this kid enjoyed visiting BestBuy. They should have told him he's welcome anytime.

Good on them but I got the distinct impression this kid enjoyed his BestBuy visits. Could be for a number of reasons. Bad home life, loneliness... The only thing I wished was the employee to stop saying 'So you don't have to come here all the time'. I think this kid enjoyed visiting BestBuy. They should have told him he's welcome anytime.
Maybe they should have hired him...

I am happy and saddened by the story.

I am happy that the Best Buy employees had such a big heart to use their hard earned money to do an act of kindness for this young fellow.

I am saddened that so many people seemed to react to people doing kindness in such a skeptical and negative manner.

Another news story about obscure comments that likely made up by less then 1% of the responses. Click bait to get us to voice our outrage while viewing ads.

Take a look at the comments here as proof... no ones downing on a good deed.

Another news story about obscure comments that likely made up by less then 1% of the responses. Click bait to get us to voice our outrage while viewing ads.

Take a look at the comments here as proof... no ones downing on a good deed.
Well, all you need to do is click on the video then select "view on YouTube" and you find that it does not take very long to get to the negative comments...

Meanwhile, in an alternate Grinchiverse:

"Store management removes Super Smash Bros from display console after noticing youth returning every day to play it, citing "This is a place of business, not some arcade!"

In other news, yet another old man erects electric fence around his lawn, presumably as a youth deterrent. Authorities pressure him to take it down".

Back