Best Core2 Duo Motherboard for £50 ($94)

By Blekk
Nov 18, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, after installing some demos, I have realised my system aint that good anymore, I usually use it for graphic and web design, but also play CounterStrike: Source alot. It has been ok for that, but after installing the Just Cause Demo and others, I realise it isn't up to much.

My graphics card is a X1800GTO PCI-E, so I'm ok there, (im not an enthusiast), but my motherboard is an intel 478 with only pci-e x16 running at x4 and I only have a Northwood 2.2Ghz CPU.

For christmas, I'm thinking of upgrading that side of things, I'm only 16 so I don't have loads of money, so can somebody give me an idea of the best Core2 Duo Motherboard for about £50 ($94) that isn't nforce powered, because of my ATI card, SiS, VIA, ATI, whatever, just not nForce. Can anyone give me an idea?

Also, Can you use DDR memory in a DDR2 supported board, or does it mean that it is exclusive to DDR2? (Just wondering how much I will actually have to upgrade :))

Thanks,

Any reply is appreciated.
  2. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 841

3. Blekk

Blekk Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 79

Hmm, thats quite good, thanks for the help, but is that pci-e x16 running at x16? Also, its only DDR2 667 and I'm not really looking for a hybrid, would rather have another pci slot or pci-e x1 or x4.

Thanks for the help though.

Anyone else got suggestions?

Thanks.
  4. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

Try the Biostar Tforce P965 Deluxe, it's around $100 american dollars, or even better, the Gigabyte GA-965P-S3, it's around $116 US dollars. But you'd need to change the DDR RAM to DDR2 RAM.

I'm also 16, and want to upgrade my machine too, so I understand that you need to build a budget PC. It's hard to get cheap, reliable parts :)
  5. Mirob

Yes it's 4x. Not a huge performance hit though. I think it's the best with DDR.

The MSI 965P neo-f works well. My friend has one in his first build. I don't like the how BIOS chip is soldered on and not in a socket.
  6. Blekk

Blekk Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 79

MSI Motherboard that you suggested Mirob, can it take DDR or only DDR2?

Thanks.
  7. Mirob

It's DDR2.

There a many 945 chipset mobos that will work with Core 2. The only ones I've seen reviews for are the ASRock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2 and ConRoe945PL-GLAN. They work fine but like all sub $100 mobo have few overclocking options.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.