TechSpot

Best gaming monitor for GTX980ti machine

By Conger88
Mar 11, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, I recently purchased a new computer at christmas, it has a GTX980 ti Graphics card.
    And now I want to purchase the best monitor to boot.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    I assume I want something with 1ms delay, highest Hz rate I can get.
    Size for me doesn't matter.. and I dont want curved I think I actually prefer smaller so something < 27inch.
    Some things im not sure about is gsync and is it neccesary? ips panels etc. Also I am not sure if I should be aiming for a 4k Monitor or a standard 1080. I understand I have a good graphics card but some games maxed out on 4k will lag. So can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,558   +2,900

One thing you should consider is how often you upgrade GPU's. A monitor can last through several GPU's. You may not be able to run 4K with your current GPU the way you would like. But I would assume your next GPU would be fine with 4K. The question is whether or not you would like or need 4K (gaming or non-gaming) on a monitor less than 27 inches.

3. Conger88

Conger88 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 62

Thanks for the reply. Realistically I won't be upgrading my GPU for some time. I'm thinkin I should go for a 2k monitor with 1ms 144hz and gsync.? Would that make sense.?

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,558   +2,900

I do believe that is where I would aim for, if I was looking to get a monitor less than 30 inches.

5. Conger88

OK, iv done some research and its looking like the Asus PG279Q 27-inch G-Sync, IPS, 165 Hz, 2560 x 1440 Gaming monitor is the cream of the crop. with a big price tag however. surely this monitor would be mint with my GTX980ti

6. Conger88

Does my GPU support a display port 1.2 output? :/