Best Gaming Resolution For the screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

j17neo

I always thought about this... kinda picky and silly I guess in my case, but that's just the way I am.

What exactly would most or the average gamer consider the BEST and most used resolution when it comes to playing video games on yer PC.

In every modern game, the user has the option IN-GAME to change the resoulution, of course.

Is it suggested, if possible, to use the HIGHEST resolution yer video card and monitor can put out without error?

Or, is there a specific resolution that is preferred to players not only for better pixel... but to better support their monitor's size.

Thanks for comments!

Usually, the higher the resolution, the slower the game will run, so it can affect playability especially in fast-paced multiplayer games.

I run games mostly at 1280x960 or 1280x1024.

If you have a medium-good video card, there is probably no reason why you should be lower than 1024x768.

I am a gamer, my life revolves around gaming and cars. Normal scrn res is bout 1280x1024 and gaming res is usually 1024x768.

I like 1280x1024 which is about the point the scan lines totally disappear on a 21" monitor. 1024x768 is ok as long as you can run the AA and AF high but I really don't like to see the scan lines. Anything lower looks bad to me.

lower than 1024*768 is TOO low but i run everything at this reso on a 17" screen - when i get a noo card it might go up some thou

It depends on your monitor but you shouldn't be running a game higher than 1280x960 or your running in overkill unless your monitor is huge. In that case your monitor is overkill.

I would suggest a 19" @ 1280x960 if your video card can run at that resolution, if not 1024x768. Anything lower than that and the graphics won't be that great, but anything higher than 1280x960 as I have said is just overkill.

Most people love to complain when they try to run in insane resolutions and get horrendous performance. That is what they get for being ignorant.

There is no such thing as overkill with a moniter... never, ever :p I normally play my games at 1600x1200, with no AA. If thats too laggy, 1024x768 ;)

Well, at least you realize when you need to lower the res. I would say anything over a 21" monitor is overkill though. For one thing most people sit pretty close to their monitor. I am about 3 feet away from mine. If it's further away I could understand something bigger than 19".

For TFT monitors its best to run at the native screen resolution (1024*768 for 15in, 1280*1024 for 17in).

For CRT then 1024*768 for up to 17in, and something higher for larger monitors. No point in losing framerate if you don't observe useful improvements when cranking up the resolution. My current 17in CRT goes up to 1600*1200, but its only acceptably sharp up to 1024*768, so thats what I use. Anything lower and in game environment text isn't readable when viewed from a distance (in the game world).

Of course, when deciding the resolution, one must consider how the game looks too. You would get insanely tiny navigation items at high resolutions or a game screen you can't see anything on at low resolutions (strategy games).

The best resolution really comes from trying out different ones and weighing the performance/look/usability.

My max resolution @85Hz is 1024x768, so I'm kinda stuck there until I get a better monitor...but 1024 x 768 w/ 4xFSAA and 16X AF look grand, so I won't be buying anew monitor for some time...probably an LCD..need the desk space...

Just thought I'd comment on screen size, [not resolution], in my opinion, whilst 21" is fine for TV, it seems over large for a desk top, I have a laptop, 14" screen, placed at eye-level on two equipment drawers, & the screen is 18" from my eyes. I find this to be ideal for me, eyes don't tire quickly, even when I've been at it for a couple of hours, I think the LCD helps too, rock solid, & absolutely NO "dither".

Nah, 21" is pretty nice for a desktop. At least my set up. Because you can play leaned back as if you were up forward squinting at the screen. It's more relaxing.

I have a 21" and love it. As long as you have a good sized desk it works out great.

But if you don't have a large desk then it is way too big for your workstation.

Best for me

Funny I just got a PowerColor 9800Pro 256MB video card
upgraded from PNY G4Ti4400 and decided to up my resolution.
With the G4Ti4400 I would have frequent lockups and had to lessen the details in options. I ran 1028x768 Res
I upped the res to 1280x960 now with the Pro card.
I use that resoulution for both desktop and games.
I am very happy with the preformance and quality of picture.
I gave my daughter my TfT Samsung 17" flat so I could see the faster and more detailed card I was getting so purchased a low cost $250.00 19"NEC Diamondtron MultisyncFE991 SB and it has resolutions up to 1792x1344 # 32 bit and 85 Hrz compared to
Samsung Tft 17" that maxed @75Hrz and 24bit color also limited
in the resolution 1280x768 at $600.00.
I think that 1280x960@85Hrz is fine as I have not experienced a frame drop in the least.
3Dmark2001SE with this new card blows the Ti4400 away even at higher resolutions.

I promise you that 21" is not too large for your desktop. I run a 22" CRT + 21" LCD (Dual Display) for my desktop and let me tell you that it's pretty spoiling. I almost hate to use anyone else's computer because of it. I run at 3200x1200 (hard to find wallpaper for free at that size) and it's lovely.

Wow LNC.... just WOW. I wish i had a 21" LCD to go with my 21" CRT. That would be off the hook!

background resolution=slower games?

Ok i know this may sound totally like a newbie to pc's, but playing max payne 2 i THINK i noticed a frame rate difference between having my desktop set to 1024 instead of 1280 resolution. is this true or am i just thinking its running faster? Although, you think on a p4 2.8 canterwood w/ati radeon 9800 pro and 512 mushkin 400 ddr ram that wouldnt make a difference.....

So, am i crazy?

Probably crazy .. heh .. but you never know. The desktop is still held in memory even though you're running a 3D app - but I doubt with your machine there would be ANY difference at all. Perhaps you want to think it's faster? I have, however, noticed a difference in performance from running 3200x1200 (dual display) then running a game and dropping down to 1600x1200 (single).

1600 x 1200 is a good resolution to play games but I don't know about everyone else but i think the HUD display is always to small so I personally go for 1280 x 1024. If you hav a VGA which can't handle it, 1024 x 768 is still pretty sweet but i wouldn't go below.

Game Resolution Problem

hey ppl well im a new user here i have absolutely no knowledge on gaming for computers . but the thing is i have recently purchased a game for my PC (NBA LIVE 2005) and well first it was running @ 600x 800 and was coming incredbily bad so i changed it to 800x 600 it became a bit better but this game should run @ about 1024x768 but it runs very slow i have a pretty old video card well not that old i have a ATI Radeon 7200 and i just updated it with the new catalyst. I have no clue what to do i really want to play the game but i cant find any place that tells me how i searched on google and found this forum so please someone out there PLEASE HELP ME OUT

I'm 90% sure even without seeing the rest of your profile (since you didn't post it) that your problem is gonna be your video card. That's a terribly dated card to be using for a current game. I think it may be time to look into an upgrade - but first I suggest updating your profile so we can see what else you have in your box.

upgrade

You need a better video card.
You could get a ATI 9800 Pro for a song now and that would play your games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back