best media OS?

By foozy
Jan 24, 2007
  1. So i'm building a desktop that'll have to accommodate someone who routinely writes, compiles, and records music/audio, possibly video. I heard about all the DRM problems with Vista so i'm apprehensive to put it on any system that will use media - any opinions on what the best OS for work like this is?
  2. Jesse_hz

Jesse_hz TS Maniac Posts: 545

Microsoft Windows XP SP2, but only because most applications are built for it.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Really, any media work depends mostly on the hardware and applications, not the OS itself.

Take the OS that works best with your hardware and programs.
  4. James Reen

James Reen TS Rookie

As far as I know a lot of multimedia abilities are in Windows XP Media Center, but of course everything depends on your hardware and on your needs of applications.
  5. foozy

foozy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 139

Well I suppose a good follow up question then would be what applications and hardware work best for it? I'm used to building gaming and general purpose rigs :)
  6. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

That sort of depends on what this someone knows how to use and how much money there is to burn. Also, the exact nature of the work done and any existing equipment/software/data to be worked on..

You should ask the person who is going to be working with the thing what exactly is needed.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.