TechSpot

Best Of: Computer Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know

By Julio Franco
Jun 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 404   +78

Another one I have caught myself using a lot is dragging windows all the way to the right side of the screen until a water drop appears and the window auto splits. Useful for 1440p single monitors.

2. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,025   +154

Lol 1, I knew some of the tricks.. .the other tricks I knew nothing about. I found the VLC fix handy on audio out of sync problems (is this also available on classic mediaplayer in k-lite packs?)

Lol 2, Game of Thrones series is a popular pirated material; I wonder why it is the example. :)

3. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

Yes, that's exactly what I use private browsing for....

4. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,577   +47

Very nice article, I knew quite a few of these but not others. The window snap between different monitors is just what I've been looking for recently.

5. Who would want to use a cloud service; especially ones like google's or dropbox, after the revelation of the PRISM spy program?

avoidz likes this.
  6. Pretty good list although I knew most of them apart for some involving words and giving focus to the address bar in a web browser.

I just have one criticism about Win+M not being undoable isn't true unlike Win+D there is a separate shortcut to restore all the windows Win+Shift+M

7. Stop automatic Windows shutdown
    Such a shutdown happens sometimes after installing updates or / and a wrong mouse click... If you are downloading something or creating text, you would perhaps lose data.
    ... so how to QUICKLY stop the shutdown:
    1. PRESS WIN + R
    2. TYPE cmd + ENTER
    3. TYPE shutdown -a + ENTER
    If you did it a few times, you are able to do this in 2-3 s...

Julio Franco and coolazeem like this.
  8. Solaris7

Solaris7 TS Rookie

Very useful article. Thanks! To quickly shut down the computer I just use the power button, which can be configured in Power Options to use the Windows shutdown function.

Julio Franco likes this.
  9. Nobina

Nobina TS Booster Posts: 428   +96

I knew almost all of these tricks and I use them every day. Nice article. But doesn't watching Game of Thrones mean that you downloaded it, like illegaly? :D

10. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Not bad. I knew most but not all of these tips. Should stick this to the front page.

11. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 546   +149

Nice. Also knew most of these, but are great tips for the less savvy PC user...

12. You don't need to run cmd. You can run shutdown -a directly from the Run dialog box.

13. lmike6453

lmike6453 TS Rookie Posts: 98   +6

Great post :thumbup: knew most of these but there were a few that I found very useful thanks

14. Some useful info in there. Didn't know about pressing F2 to rename. Here's another one: to go to properties, instead of right clicking and selecting the option, simply hold down Alt and double click.

15. Knew most of this stuff, but I had no idea about CTRL + Shift + V, gotta remember that.

16. Start + 1 (starts 1st pinned icon on taskbar)
    Start + 2 (2nd pinned icon)
    etc...

Start + Left: Dock window left
    Start + Right: Dock window right
    Start + Up: Maximize
    Start + Down: Restore if Maximized, otherwise minimize to taskbar

And my favourite command at the end of the day at work
    Start + R > "shutdown -f -s -t 1"

Julio Franco and Littleczr like this.
  17. stbecker

stbecker TS Rookie Posts: 32

At least for Win7, it looks like the "force" (-f) switch is implied for any time-out (-t) greater than zero on shutdown.

There's my useless post for the day.

18. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,054   +918

Great article, even though I knew 80% of that stuff. Thanks.

19. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Enthusiast Posts: 203   +18

I just tried that (Win+M then reversing it with Win+Shift+M) under Win 7 and nothing happened when I hit Win+Shift+M.

20. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Enthusiast Posts: 203   +18

Yes, very useful for me as I need that at least once a week.

21. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Enthusiast Posts: 262   +32

For renaming files, powershell is unequaled, IMHO, however, you have to take the time to learn it. My apologies for not posting a link.

22. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

I'm really surprised more people don't know this, even the people in our IT support department always use Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to the task manager.

23. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TS Enthusiast Posts: 203   +11

Yeah I usually use ctrl shift esc to get to the task manager

24. Do not use the god mode tip with windows vista 64 or you computer will be f***ed

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.