TechSpot

Best Of: Computer Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know

By Julio Franco
Jun 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Addict Posts: 439   +84

Another one I have caught myself using a lot is dragging windows all the way to the right side of the screen until a water drop appears and the window auto splits. Useful for 1440p single monitors.

2. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

Lol 1, I knew some of the tricks.. .the other tricks I knew nothing about. I found the VLC fix handy on audio out of sync problems (is this also available on classic mediaplayer in k-lite packs?)

Lol 2, Game of Thrones series is a popular pirated material; I wonder why it is the example. :)

3. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Maniac Posts: 350   +112

Yes, that's exactly what I use private browsing for....

4. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

Very nice article, I knew quite a few of these but not others. The window snap between different monitors is just what I've been looking for recently.

5. Who would want to use a cloud service; especially ones like google's or dropbox, after the revelation of the PRISM spy program?

avoidz likes this.
  6. Pretty good list although I knew most of them apart for some involving words and giving focus to the address bar in a web browser.

I just have one criticism about Win+M not being undoable isn't true unlike Win+D there is a separate shortcut to restore all the windows Win+Shift+M

7. Stop automatic Windows shutdown
    Such a shutdown happens sometimes after installing updates or / and a wrong mouse click... If you are downloading something or creating text, you would perhaps lose data.
    ... so how to QUICKLY stop the shutdown:
    1. PRESS WIN + R
    2. TYPE cmd + ENTER
    3. TYPE shutdown -a + ENTER
    If you did it a few times, you are able to do this in 2-3 s...

Julio Franco and coolazeem like this.
  8. Solaris7

Solaris7 TS Rookie

Very useful article. Thanks! To quickly shut down the computer I just use the power button, which can be configured in Power Options to use the Windows shutdown function.

Julio Franco likes this.
  9. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 844   +335

I knew almost all of these tricks and I use them every day. Nice article. But doesn't watching Game of Thrones mean that you downloaded it, like illegaly? :D

10. avoidz

avoidz TS Guru Posts: 457   +54

Not bad. I knew most but not all of these tips. Should stick this to the front page.

11. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 750   +270

Nice. Also knew most of these, but are great tips for the less savvy PC user...

12. You don't need to run cmd. You can run shutdown -a directly from the Run dialog box.

13. lmike6453

lmike6453 TS Enthusiast Posts: 100   +6

Great post :thumbup: knew most of these but there were a few that I found very useful thanks

14. Some useful info in there. Didn't know about pressing F2 to rename. Here's another one: to go to properties, instead of right clicking and selecting the option, simply hold down Alt and double click.

15. Knew most of this stuff, but I had no idea about CTRL + Shift + V, gotta remember that.

16. Start + 1 (starts 1st pinned icon on taskbar)
    Start + 2 (2nd pinned icon)
    etc...

Start + Left: Dock window left
    Start + Right: Dock window right
    Start + Up: Maximize
    Start + Down: Restore if Maximized, otherwise minimize to taskbar

And my favourite command at the end of the day at work
    Start + R > "shutdown -f -s -t 1"

Julio Franco and Littleczr like this.
  17. stbecker

stbecker TS Rookie Posts: 33

At least for Win7, it looks like the "force" (-f) switch is implied for any time-out (-t) greater than zero on shutdown.

There's my useless post for the day.

18. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Great article, even though I knew 80% of that stuff. Thanks.

19. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Guru Posts: 407   +88

I just tried that (Win+M then reversing it with Win+Shift+M) under Win 7 and nothing happened when I hit Win+Shift+M.

20. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Guru Posts: 407   +88

Yes, very useful for me as I need that at least once a week.

21. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,035   +269

For renaming files, powershell is unequaled, IMHO, however, you have to take the time to learn it. My apologies for not posting a link.

22. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170

I'm really surprised more people don't know this, even the people in our IT support department always use Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to the task manager.

23. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TS Booster Posts: 221   +14

Yeah I usually use ctrl shift esc to get to the task manager

24. Do not use the god mode tip with windows vista 64 or you computer will be f***ed