Bethesda releases Skyrim 1.4 patch, mod kit previewed

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Bethesda Studios has made the latest Skyrim 1.4 update available for everyone on Steam after just over a week of public beta. In addition to several bug and quest fixes, 1.4 adds launcher support for the Skyrim Workshop as the team puts the final touches on it and the Creation Kit ahead of their respective release.

Included in the extensive list of bug fixes are general optimizations for memory and performance, rare crashing with loading saved games and occasional issues where overwriting an existing save game would fail. In total there are nearly 30 bug fixes on the change log.

Bethesda lists even more quest fixes in the blog post such as fixing numerous issues with “Blood on the Ice” not triggering properly, clearing Knifepoint Ridge before starting “Boethiah’s Champion” no longer prevents quest from starting and the Unusual Gem that was inside the Thalmor Embassy is now accessible after finishing “Diplomatic Immunity”.

Players who want to try their hand at modding will surely be interested in the Creation Kit, a free download via Steam under Tools. The Creation Kit is said to make the modding process much easier for those who aren’t naturally tech savvy. 

In an effort to make Skyrim mods as accessible as possible, Bethesda teamed up with Valve to create the Skyrim Workshop. With it, you can browse and search for the latest or highest rated mods, subscribe to any that interest you, rate your favorites and post feedback.

Both features are currently in the works although a release date hasn’t been announced as of yet.

Permalink to story.

Soo... I guess I should buy skyrim at some point? Probably before Mass Effect 3, Otherwise how the hell am I going to find the time to play both?

ikesmasher, the Skyrim Nexus has a rating system, people rate the better mods, all you'd have to do is look for the mods that have the most endorsements and you wouldn't ever see the ridiculous mods.

Hopefully they're not using this steam partnership to segway in charging $$ for the better mods. I've always gone to skyrim/fallout nexus for mods. They have an excellent site and an excellent community of modders.

patch appears to have foobarred my copy, can't interact meaningfully with NPCs now.

ikesmasher said:
noob friendly mod kit just means thousands of ridiculous mods.

lol, so true. +1

Guest said:
ikesmasher, the Skyrim Nexus has a rating system, people rate the better mods, all you'd have to do is look for the mods that have the most endorsements and you wouldn't ever see the ridiculous mods.

Ya, but you'll still have to swim through a sea of useless crap to find anything new that might be potentially good. Just sayin' :p

Regardless, its a really cool concept, and I'm really happy they did this for the community. Its just too bad that pc users got a mediocre console port of the game :-/
It almost seems like they are relying on modders to fix things, such as interface issues, instead of themselves... hmmm.... or, maybe I'm just being overly cynical today :)

Guest said:
that is true.

"Both features are currently in the works although a release date hasn’t been announced as of yet"

Shame on you Techspot that isn't correct (hint: so please correct it) or at best is misleading, certainly with regard to the Creation Kit. Two previous release dates were promised by Bethesda for the Creation Kit, the first was with release of the game, and the second was 'sometime in January.' Both of course have been missed. Bethesda have now sensibly reverted to the suitably vague 'coming soon.' Bethesda used to make release date promises...

Hey, Skrim wasn't broken for me. Sure, some glitches...but they weren't fatal and didn't hinder (much) 200+ hours of magnificent gameplay. At least it's not like Batman: Arkam...started up one day to find all save games gone and unrecoverable (I tried multiple workarounds). To top it off WB had a rude and ignorant support staff. I'd much rather have Bethesda's benign glitches to WB's fatal errors.

Guest said: "patch appears to have foobarred my copy, can't interact meaningfully with NPCs now. "

Then stop using those stupid mods all the time...seriously. No problems here.

Back