Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok so heres what i got from memory:

CPU-Athlon 64 3000+
    Video-Radeon 9600 with current drivers
    RAM- 1024 (2x512)
    HDD-120 GB SATA
    Mobo-939 something cant remember

Does anyone know what i would need to upgrade if i wanted to get better performance from elder scrolls oblivion? I can run the game comfortable in mid settings, but i want to max it out. any help is appreciated
  2. delfofthebla

delfofthebla Newcomer, in training Posts: 40

a better video card. I get all my cards from Newegg

i don't know if your computer takes PCI, PCI-E, AGP, or AGP 4x/8x. so you need to find that out and look at the site yourself. i prefer nvidia over ati, so i reccomend a geforce 6800 or higher.

i have a 256mb 6600LE and it runs damn close to full settings, so im guessing a 256 6800 would let you do that.

either way you look at it, a better video card is the best way to go
  3. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,565

I'd agree. Your priority is your graphics card. How much money can you spend? Give us a budget and we can help you pick one out.
  4. theholmboy

theholmboy Newcomer, in training Posts: 16

Is a 6800 Ultra enough?

I have a friend who had a BFG 6800 Ultra 256mb (PCI-E) in his frag box and, according to him, it wasn't enough for him to run Oblivion on high settings. Of course, he may not know too much about tweaking it and I wasn't going to question it because he sold me the 6800 Ultra for $150, since he upgraded to a 7800 GT. So, maybe it was enough card, had he known a bit more about tweaking for performance?
  5. delfofthebla

delfofthebla Newcomer, in training Posts: 40

thats odd, i play with a 128MB Geforce 6800, and im on highest settings.

hmmm.
  6. theholmboy

theholmboy Newcomer, in training Posts: 16

I think my friend just wanted an excuse to upgrade

And, as I said, I wasn't complaining because I ended up with a sweet card at a sweet price. I might load Oblivion just to see how pretty it is, but I only like to play 1st person shooters.

RHH
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.