TechSpot

Between Plextor 716a DL and Sony DRU 710a DL...which would you prefer and why?

By bluedog
Jan 8, 2005
  1. The reason if I'm only comparing those 2 drives is that Best Buy has them and I would prefer to purchase them locally. Thanks for you input. I would like to make a decision today.

Bluedog

2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

i own the said sony drive and it's very satisfactory in both reliability and performance. it installed in a snap and never gave me any trouble.

3. bluedog

bluedog TS Rookie Topic Starter

Zephead,

What version of Nero does it come with? Can you burn dvd to dvd? Rather have you tried to burn dvd to dvd?

4. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

Defently Plextor, they just make the best, highest quality, fail-proof drives around :cool:.

5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,332   +277

I would say plextor as well - strictly due to brand loyalty. I have several drives from Plextor but I've only ever owned 2 Sony drives. I haven't used either of the drives you've mentioned here, but I would still get the Plextor over the Sony even if there were a considerable price difference.

6. zephead

bluedog,

mine came with an oem version of nti cd&dvd creator 6, a shoddy at best program. i also have nero and roxio easy cd sreator from other sources, both work well. and yes, using nero or roxio anything is possible, drive has never let me down.

7. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Check their reviews at cdrinfo:

Plextor PX-716A
    Sony DRU-710A

8. The Best Alias

The Best Alias TS Rookie Posts: 147

I have a Plextor PX 712A. I t has worked flawlessly.

9. zephead

yeah, alias, i could see that.

10. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

Mic, as he mentioned, it could have been his media or anything else, as a plexy should burn just as fast or faster as a Sony, nothing like 10 compared to a 5 by the sony :\

11. art601st

art601st TS Rookie

I own the Plextor and found it to be one of the more reliable dvd drivers. :hotouch:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.