BFG GeForce 9800 dual monitor setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw2004

Hi;
I just installed a new BFG GeForce 9800 (model BFGE98512GTXPBE) on my Asus P5AD2-E Premium mobo.
First off, I was a bit confused when I first connected my two monitors. One is digital, and uses the DVI cable. The other monitor is an analog LCD which I use the supplied DVI to VGA adapter.

When I first powered up the computer, only the analog monitor was active, but after Windows (XP Pro SP3) booted, the main monitor became active.
I have the digital monitor (Viewsonic VX2000) connected to the RIGHT DVI connector as viewed from the rear of the computer, and the VGA monitor on the LEFT connector with the adapter.

If I swap the cables then the Viewsonic comes up during BIOS boot, and the VGA monitor stays dark until Windows is booted up.

Does this mean that the LEFT connector is the primary output for this card?

Thanks for your help/advice

FW

I'm not too familiar with dual monitor setups but I think it's normal for only one display to become active during boot up. I think the driver detects if two monitors are hooked up when the OS is loaded or something. You don't really need to see the BIOS and XP loading screens on both screens during start up; I don't think it's supposed to work like that... and I don't think there is a "primary" DVI port on the card either but I've been wrong before.

My BFG GeForce 6800 did activate both screens during BIOS boot. I don't need (or really want) both displays active during BIOS boot, but I was just curious.

FW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back