"Biggest ever" review finds no link between cell phones and health

Rick

Staff

It seems like every few months, new research surfaces which either validates or invalidates links to cell phone radiation and human health. So, what's the truth -- the real truth? It may disappoint you to know the jury is still out on this question. However, today, we can pin up one more reason to believe there may be no link between the two. 

Experts from the UK Health and Protection Agency mulled over data found across hundreds of studies regarding cell phone usage and health problems. What were the results of this meta-study said to be the largest of its kind? Researchers were unable to derive any links between mobile phones and risk of cancer or infertility.

Note, that's not to say scientists managed to disprove links between health problems and cell phones, rather, it simply could not be proven.

As with all things biological, especially over long periods of time, it is difficult to separate correlation from causality. Research which aims to answer the big question is not done in a vacuum. Needless to say, we're inundated by so many things in all facets of everyday life that even the best research cannot always be absolutely definitive. Rather, scientists rely on a consensus of studies and when there are a preponderance of outcomes, the broader community can be relatively assured of the results.

Despite its positive findings for our always-connected society, the study points out that we really still don't know much about cell phones beyond 15 years of use. While there have been studies that certainly pre-date 1997, far fewer people and a much narrower demographic were using cell phones at this time. This absence of numbers and diversity makes older data far less conclusive than more recent studies where mobile devices have become ubiquitous.

Anthony Swerdlow, who chaired the review group, said it was important to continue monitoring research. "Even though it's relatively reassuring, I also think it's important that we keep an eye on the rates of brain tumours and other cancers," he said. "One can't know what the long-term consequences are of something that has been around for only a short period."

Source: bbc.co.uk

Permalink to story.

Another thing I would like to add is the ever present background microwave radiation(or any electromagnetic radiation in general) We have already been exposed to these microwaves since our existence. If they're going to ever damage us in any meaningful way we would have noticed. PS: Not any microwaves can boil water, it has to be of a very precise resonant frequency, as in you don't reach it by accident.

Who paid for this,Verizon, Att, Sprint,, Motorola, Htc,Lg, Sony, Nokia, who? cui bono.

" the study points out that we really still don't know much about cell phones beyond 15 years of use."

That's really all that has to be said about the issue.

I don't care about FUD, this is science. Absence of evidence of harm =/= something is safe. This is why research is done by scientists, not executives.

Kids are sitting there attached to cell phones for hours a day. It takes decades to see the onset of dementia, alzheimers, and pretty much most other diseases affecting the brain. If constant cell phone use while young causes, lets say, onset of alzheimer's in predisposed people by a decade, so lets say you start forgetting stuff at 40, rather than 50, that's kinda a big deal, and we wouldn't find out about this possibility for another 30 years. Fact is that cell phone use increases glucose use in the brain. That does not happen when the variable of the cell phone is removed. Just because scientists don't know what the increased glucose use means, again =/= phones are safe.

Glucose Use = More Energy being used = more thinking done.
Writing has the same effect, henceforth your evidence is I have to say, in the context of cellphone usage is irrelevant.

Anyone who thinks cell phones cause cancer is retarded. It's the same as people thinking vaccines cause autism. Out of all the things that are so obviously bad for you, people pick this one? with smart phones people now hold them in their hands more often then on their ear. And what about the place in your pocket where you keep it, wouldn't that have a tumor shaped like a cell phone there? The clam was made in 1993 by someone name David Reynard who said a girl with brain cancer had a tumor shaped like her phone. That guy was an *****, how this got so much attention I have no idea. The gene pool needs chlorine, lots of it.

On a side note, get your kids vaccinated. I will not have some stupid parent put my kids at risk because they're too stupid to do the right thing.

of course there are "health consequences"... haven't we seen videos of people falling into man construction holes, walking into poles, tripping over things, etc... yes. Many injuries arise from using cell phones.

Back