Bill Gates Says DVDs Have No Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Bill Gates, the man who obviously decides everything about computers, has decreed that DVDs shall whither and die, for they have no future as a storage medium.

"In an article published in the German mass-circulation daily Bild, Gates said DVD technology would be "obsolete in 10 years at the latest."

"He said the concept of carrying around film and music on little silver discs to stick them into a computer was ridiculous. He moaned that DVDs could get scratched or get lost."

"He moaned that DVDs could get scratched or get lost."

Get lost... what, like the release of XP Service pack 2?

Well, he is right, the DVD format is just crap... CD was great when it got introduced, offering an immense ammount of storage space.

The same could not be said about DVD when it got introduced... Just a minor increase in storage capacity and that was it...

Well I'm not sure about minor...

I mean maybe DVDs dont do much for storage but lets look at
Xbox, Ps2, DVD videos... I mean without DVDs none of these things wouldn't be possible.

nico1606; sure, DVD was an improvment, but such a small one that it will only last a couple of years...

Compare that with how long the CD has lived!

When the CD was introduced no-one had so large harddrives in their PC's!!

Ya good point.
But do you think the CD was so popular because:

A. It helped with storage
B. It helped the music industry get away from 8tracks and 40s.

I mean what will BIll have us all do..
Throw out our DVD players?

Maybe he's been mis-quoted again?

I prefer DVDs to CDs, but it's a real pity that many movies fill more than a single DVD.

I wonder what Bill regards as the replacement for DVDs. Maybe he knows something we don't?

I want to be able to copy like 500GB or something onto some kind of rod, or key. Maybe there should be a drive that takes arrays of these keys - like 8 way, 16 way, etc. Perhaps on flash memory. I think I read recently that that will get a lot cheaper.

yeah, a data rod. That's the future.

Yea that was my next inquiry.

I mean you can't just get rid of DVD's without replacing it with something.. Maybe those HDTV Tapes that I've read about...

Personally I love DVDs as well.. More storage, better clarity and sound...what's not to love.

It might not be extremely usefull on a PC (unless you watch DVDs on it) but I don't think the entertainment industry would agree with Billy.

DVDs were more of a evolutionary step than a revolutionary... practically were made to replace the CD as a higher-capacity media. I will have to agree that we will need something else in the coming years, now then of course Gates gets to be more radical, more than likely he knows better what future developments will be all about.

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Ok then whats replacing DVDs..

Don't you read other people's posts?

Originally posted by Phantasm66
I want to be able to copy like 500GB or something onto some kind of rod, or key. Maybe there should be a drive that takes arrays of these keys - like 8 way, 16 way, etc. Perhaps on flash memory. I think I read recently that that will get a lot cheaper.

yeah, a data rod. That's the future.

And I KNOW I am right about that, because its not my idea its been on Star Trek.

So it MUST be true ;)

Um actually yes phant, I did read that, but I dont think we'll have 500GB rods and keys.

I'm having a hard time taking the person who said "640k of memory would suffice for everyone" seriously.

I still don't have a DVD burner BTW. Someone feels like offering me one so I can make up my mind ? :D

Hehe honestly I'm in the same boat as you Didou.

No DVD Burner...hell I dont even have a dvd player in my one of my machines...because I don't need one.

I know that might sound like I dont need DVDs....but I do...for other reasons other than for PCs.

Bill Gates is right.

[size=large]Bill Gates is completely right.[/size]

I have thought optical & mechnical storage is a joke since its inception and I'm sure many others have too.

While there are currently no other alternatives - if there were - I am certain they would be adopted very quickly less the sake of compatibility.

When (if) there comes a time when solid state storage is cheap enough, that would certainly be a suitable replacement.

Perhaps a holographic medium using glass, plastic or inexpensive crystal would be a good replacement.

Or maybe using human skin to store data (I don't think they took that patent out of spite ;) ).

Fat people will have loads of storage space.:D

Maybe Gates wants like a central "storage locker" that you can connect from any computer terminal. All of your most important information can be readily managed and spied upon by MS. Muhahahaha... Bill Gates is watching you. Lol.

Then again, this is the same man who once said noone will ever need more than 1 MB of memory on a personal computer. LOL

I try not to take Bill very seriously. He is probably backing some other product or idea and this is how he plays.

In my business we use several small portable storage devices such as a small usb device no larger than 2 inches in length and about 1/2 an inch wide which we keep on our keyrings. Then we have a small portable drive almost an inch wide and 4-5 inches long which we use. These come in very handy for transferring customers data to new PC's, or carrying files such as documents around or other data.

That is the future. Portability. A DVD requires a drive which is bulky at the moment and DVD's are much larger than the devices which I just mentioned.

In the future everything will be portable. Even computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back