TechSpot

Bill Gates: using Ctrl-Alt-Del as a login command was a mistake

By Jos
Sep 26, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Windows users are probably all too familiar with the Ctrl-Alt-Del key sequence. Although it’s commonly associated with closing unresponsive applications through the task manager -- and, in fact, it was originally meant to remain a developer-only tool to reboot a...

Read more

2. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Guru Posts: 435   +24

So was windows vista & 8

3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yes! This is horrible. So many people who are not too technically savvy are clueless on how to log in on our school computers. This was a horrible mistake. I agree.

4. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 828   +54

Also have 3 keys spread across the keyboard makes it difficult for people to log in with one hand. It's not friendly for some people with disabilities.

5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

Your regular keyboard wasn't designed to provide comfortable work with one hand anyway.

6. "Your regular keyboard wasn't designed to provide comfortable work with one hand anyway."

Most key sequences are pretty close together so that they can be performed with one hand. ctrl alt del is one of the most spread out key sequences for windows which is probably why it's a mistake in the first place.

7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

If they can't log on with CTRL + ALT + DEL, we should all be happy.

Jad Chaar likes this.
  8. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 185   +13

I think their bigger successes were XP and Windows 7. I find it funny how he tries to say that CTRL + ALT + DEL is a security protocol.

9. avoidz

avoidz TS Guru Posts: 457   +54

Aww, Bill... lighten up, buddy.

10. "If they can't log on with CTRL + ALT + DEL, we should all be happy."

Oh the damage I could have done to windows xp back in high school if I would have known about ctrl alt del del LOL

Having only a single volunteer tech guy at the school helps too.... if only if only.

RenGood08 likes this.
  11. Ctrl + AltGr + Del is an alternative combination keyable with one hand.

12. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 813   +93

I have made a lot of money with that cryptic combo.