TechSpot

BIOS image file check sum error

By davidflynn12
Mar 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I have a asus a8n delexe sli which gaves the above error when I do alt f2 on post to enter the flash utility. I was driven to reinstall bios or upgrade it because I am getting freezing; reboot issues; missing drivers; unrecognised hardware issues etc. I have swapped out drives, video cards, reinstalled OS and even swapped PSU to no avail. So has my motherboard just had it?
    I folllowed asus instructions and copied the bios to a floppy disk and tried to flash from that. Although I copied all three files in the downloaded zip so I presume it would select the exe file automatically. I will download again. Should it work if I copied to a blank CD? I presume the bios would automatically pull the exe from any device besides the hard drive? I get this error with or without the floppy inserted?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,865   +165

Did you finally get this solved?

3. davidflynn12

davidflynn12 TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 32

I managed to reflash the bios using the asus utility in windows before it froze. But upgrading my bios did not fix my computer so a tech replaced the had drive; windows installed ok but it freezes when I try to do windows update.

4. Tmagic650

Pull the memory out and re-install it

5. hood6558

hood6558 TS Booster Posts: 292   +44

Since that board came out in 2004, it could very well be past it's useful life, due to aging capacitors, oxidized slots & connectors, etc. Nice piece of history, though, the first nVidia SLI board available. I can see why you want to keep it going. As suggested above by Tmagic650, the problem could be memory related, you could try reseating it, cleaning the slots/contacts, or booting with one stick (a new one or known good one if available). If you exhaust all other possibilities, then you have to assume it's the motherboard.

6. davidflynn12

davidflynn12 TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 32

Yes I have reseated the ram. I bought the motherboard in 2006 so I suppose it is getting old now, I thought I would get another two or three years from it.

7. Tmagic650

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.