Bios not recognizing RAM

By toycosm
Mar 24, 2008
  1. I have two sticks of RAM installed, but the bios and Windows XP only recognize one. CPU-Z detects them both. The bios goes into dual channel mode when both are installed.

Each module will run the machine alone. Switching slots does not help. I have the latest bios (f8) flashed multiple times from different downloads.

I'd like to upgrade to two 1GB sticks, but I'm afraid I'll get the same problem.

Ideas anyone?

mobo = Gigabyte K8NSC-939
    RAM = Micron PC3200 DDR 512MB x 2 bought at different times, memory timings differ slightly (3-3-3-8 and 3-4-4-8)
    CPU = Athlon 64 3000+
  2. pimpmypc

pimpmypc TS Rookie Posts: 111

i can help i think

Call the memory manufacterer. Its somthing with the frequency i called the memory company when i bought ram n it worked what they told me to change in the bios. hope this helps
  3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,261   +92

You might have to increase the RAM's voltage a tad.

If the timings are different, I assume they aren't identical modules, which, once in a blue moon will present issues.
  4. toycosm

toycosm TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the tip. I tried all the possible voltage options (+.1 and +.2) but the problem continues.

I also reduced the CPU/DDR clock ratio so that the timings of the the RAM modules match each other, but the problem continues.
  5. toycosm

Thanks. I'll see what they have to say.
  6. pimpmypc

pimpmypc TS Rookie Posts: 111

np let me no what they tell you i had a problem with the memory when i bought mjine and got it fixed in a few mins
  7. toycosm

problem morph

I contacted both the mobo and RAM manufacturers. Neither was much help. They just said to double-check the type of memory I have. The Gigabyte folks said make sure it's not ECC, registered, or buffered. The Micron folks said make sure it's really Micron RAM. Like I said before, the timings differ slightly but the two sticks are the same maker, speed, size and not ECC, registered, or buffered.

and then . . .

I upgraded the CPU from Athlon 64 3000+ to 4000+, and things changed. Now, the bios recognizes all the RAM, but will not run in dual-channel mode. So, now I'm awaiting new RAM - a truly matched pair.

So it goes.
  8. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas TS Rookie Posts: 527

Since you should increase your ram anyway, I would say that you should 2 or 4 gigs of matching ram. I am sure that identical modules will all be "seen". For true Dual Channel operation, your modules must be identical in all ways. Good Luck.
  9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.