Bios settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently built a new system, with an ASUS A8N5X motherboard and two internal hard drives, one ide and the other sata. Everything works great with the exception of one thing. When I do a cold boot, the boot priority of my hard drives will not stay the way that I want them to. The sata is set to be a master drive on the channel it is on, and the ide drive is set to be a master drive on it's channel. I realized after I already had my operating system installed that I should have set the sata drive to be my boot drive, since it is a faster drive. However I do not really wish to re-install my operating system. Is there anything that I can change in my bios to force the system to accept the hard drive boot priority that I want it to have?

The only thing I could find in the BIOS is in the Boot section under Hard Disk Drives. It's got 1. 1st Master:XXXXXXXX, try putting the SATA drive here.

check the cmos battery maybe low on voltage... only option is boot options in bios if it allows you to change it..

have you considered backing up the info on the hdd and use say.. somehting like seagate diskwizard to move your OS from teh IDE drive to the SATA drive? you wont have to reinstall anything, as the whole image will be ghosted on to the drive from teh original, some programs giving you the option of keeping the old or ditching it...

Thanks everyone for your help. But for now it looks like my solution is going to be to disable quick booting which gives my ide drive time to spin up and allows the system time to recognize it as the primary boot drive.

I have learned my lesson from this build, fastest drive should definetly be the boot drive.

I will eventually replace the ide drive with a sata drive, so anybody have any suggestions as to an inexpensive and reliable ghosting program that will hopefully prevent me from having to re-install my operating system along with all the drivers? Or can anyone point me in the direction of some instructions on how to make a recovery disk that will have all of my latest drivers on it that I could use to do a clean install on a new sata drive?

Thanks again.

those progs can be obtained from the driver's manufacturer's website, like Seagates' DiskWizard utility (free) etc.. that will let you clone the drive to the other quick and painless.. although i still recomend a backup beforehand on your most prized possesions..

recovery disks can be made using norton ghost or some disk imager/ghost software.. theres a few good free ones that escape my mind at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back