Biostar stops or reboots randomly

I got a wild one!
biostar geforce 6100-m9 socket 939
amd athlon 64 proc32 spd = 2010mhz
win xp pro latest bios and drivers provided by biostar loaded in.

I thought I had a windows problem but i took a clean drive and reloaded
xp onto this pc. I have monitored the chip power it appears to be ok.
Stress tested the chip with the biostar software and it passes. Just at
a loss when it comes to debuggin. I have gotten 1 blue screen.

Driver.irql.not.less.or equal
atapi.sys.address.ba712bb8 base at ba70b000 date stamp 41107b4d

This pc can run for 2 hours or 2 minutes before it reboots itself or shuts off.
Right now its rebooting itself more than shutting down.

Any suggestions?

Please follow this guide to post the minidump from the crash.

Below the reply box click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down until you see a button Manage Attachments. Click on that and a popup-window opens.

Click on the Browse button, find the minidump files you wish to attach on your PC and doubleclick on it. Normally found in C:\Windows\minidump

Now click on the Upload button in the popup. When done, click on the Close this window button.

Enter your message-text, then click on Submit Message.

Run through this guide to test your memory.

Power off the PC and remove the mains connection, always touch the metal of the case with your hands to avoid any static electricity from causing component damage. (On laptops ALWAYS remove the battery before removing or replacing memory modules). Remove all your memory modules. Clean the contacts with a soft rubber (up and down not from end to end) then insert just one module and reboot to test for any change in performance. Repeat this for every module one at a time. Obviously if you only have one module this cannot be done, but you should still remove and clean the module and reseat it and test.

If you only have one stick download this to test it. http://www.memtest.org/

You need to scroll down the page until you see the three blue screenshots. Just below is the list of downloads for Memtest86+ V4.10. Click on Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)and save to your desktop, When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD. In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. http://www.isoimageburner.com/

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos. Leave the test to run through at least 5 cycles.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.

Thanks mark but it crashed hard and I have to reload windows.
i'll have the mini-dump tomorrow. I'll try cleaning the memory in the process.

bbum

Back