BioWare seeking fan feedback for Dragon Age III

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Executive producer of Dragon Age II Mark Darrah recently took to the BioWare Social Network to discuss the conclusion of the second game and to ask fans to give their feedback regarding what Dragon Age means to them and where they would like to see it go in the future (Dragon Age III, anyone?).

Darrah started the post by noting the 1 year anniversary of Dragon Age II and thanking fans for their continued support of the franchise. The game recently surpassed 1 million “Likes” on Facebook and with the most recent patch now available, the development team will now be focusing on the next phase of Dragon Age’s future.

Moving forward, the development team wants to hear from the fans, and not just on the forums, Facebook or Twitter. BioWare will be attending a number of conventions and gatherings in the coming months, including PAX East next month in Boston.

Dragon Age: Origins was released in 2009 and received rave reviews from fans and critics alike. Metacritic ranked the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 versions with scores of 91, 87 and 86, respectively. Dragon Age II, on the other hand, has generally received less favorable reviews than the original. GameSpot felt the title suffered from “unnecessary simplification and unfocused storytelling” but overall it was still a pretty solid offering.

Darrah concluded the post by promising to show more about the future of Dragon Age when the time is right.

Permalink to story.

i don't know what the big deal is with the whole dragon age franchise. i tried the game, Dragon Age II due to all the hype. the graphics were terrible, but that's fine if the game play makes up for it. but the game play wasn't that great either. to top it off.. the in game animation, and mouth articulation were terrible too, stiff at best. at this day and age, i would think a RPG should be at least on par with Skyrim, or Mass Effect, with great story, great game play, great sound track, and great animation.

but maybe i am missing something about the game that others can point me to.

Yeah, they changed/removed some things that the community like best about DA:O so the community expressed that.
IMO if they do this right, it will turn out better than DA:O...

Dragon Age II was a bit let down for a lot of people. If you haven't played the Dragon Age I, then you don't know what you're missing. I suggest go trying out part 1.

As for Dragon Age III, I really hope they take their time and do it right. Part 2 was such a let down on so many levels.

Since when is Skyrim or Mass effect any good ?

It would be a shame if the world has come to making RPGs on par with those. I miss the late 90' RPGs.

marinkvasina said:
Guest said:
Since when is Skyrim or Mass effect any good ?

It would be a shame if the world has come to making RPGs on par with those. I miss the late 90' RPGs.
Mass Effect is bad
but if u think that Skyrim isn't good
go check ur brain.

WoW what a utterly ridiculously moronic comment. Because someone does not like one thing does not make him mentally ill, cmon now.

I don't like Skyrim either, its overrated. Does not mean the game sucks but still. Mass Effect is good, I liked 2 alot and 3 is great if you overlook the endings.

=> Mark Darrah
Re: Dragon Age
As a gamer in his mid-60s, I would like to strongly recommend a broad degree of adjustment to the difficulty of the game. Some players like it impossibly difficult - few saves, Bosses without level adjustments, extreme agility in mouse/keyboard, hordes of enemies, etc. Others, like me, cannot possibly play such a game. Simple keyboard/mouse for crippled hands. Slowed reaction times in game so the gamer can keep up. Leveled enemies for those who are "along-for-the-story". I cannot tell you how important the adjustment to physical limitations is for your older gamers - it just IS.

Bioware is taking no chances, worst case scenario they sell another sub-standard game to their adoring fans.

Microsoft Vista, Sony PS3 Hack debacle and just about any Apple product comes to mind.

Maybe it takes "3 strikes yer out" in Baseball, but it seems like a good marketing spiel has negated that rule.

"As a gamer in his mid-60s, I would like to strongly recommend a broad degree of adjustment to the difficulty of the game. Some players like it impossibly difficult - few saves, Bosses without level adjustments, extreme agility in mouse/keyboard, hordes of enemies, etc. Others, like me, cannot possibly play such a game. "

Dragon Age was meant to be played in a turn based method like Baldur's Gate and other D&D based games... the first thing you do in combat is pause the game (space bar) then give commands to your party members un-pause and allow them to attack then pause again repeating this process until you have killed your enemies.

Heading down a slippery slope with this, were going to end up with US network levels of prime time drama's rather then quality works but talented individuals.

There was nothing wrong with DA1 or 2 . There people here fuss for no reason. Both were excellent games . Games should not be tedious and complicated. If you want that then go play chess.

DA1 was a very good game. It had all the complexity of an older RPG as well as a rock-solid story (not amazing, just very good). The NPCs were interesting, Alistair particularly. The inventory system was as you'd expect for an RPG (imo also as I'd want). The environments were varied, original and had great atmosphere.

DA2 took most of the good things from DA1 and cast them aside. They dumbed down the inventory system ("what do you mean I can't change the armour my companions are wearing?"), they re-used many areas to save time/money. The story was a lot weaker, I didn't like the way it forced you into choosing one side or the other. Couldn't there have also been both & neither options? The NPCs were still interesting, and I thought the combat looked great.

These comments can pretty-much be echoed for ME1 & 2 interestingly and I think they got most of it right for ME3 by finding a good middle-ground. Just don't screw up the ending again please!!!

CHOICE, PLAYERS OF RPGs WANT CHOICE!

Guest said:
There was nothing wrong with DA1 or 2 . There people here fuss for no reason. Both were excellent games . Games should not be tedious and complicated. If you want that then go play chess.

Games should be complicated, if you don't want that go watch movies. We don't need or want your kind in the industry.

DA2 was dog with a bad case of fleas.
For pity sake kick out the accountants from the design process, and respect the fans.

they need to learn their lessons about cutting corners.

they give us these epic games with Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age: Origins, where the player is this central figure who has to make difficult choices and everything feels like it matters.... And then they go and toss that ENTIRE DEVELOPMENT MINDSET out the window, dumb things down and wonder why is there backlash?

they are seeing it now with ME3. People wanted choices to matter, and they wanted a game more epic than the two that preceded it. Instead, we got DA2.

I knew DA2 was going to be bad when they had announced it was originally scripted to be a male only main character. Eventually they changed that to be male or female, but it still wasn't quite the level of choice we got in DA1.

True - true... which is why that should not change...but even in the pause semi-turn based world, fast and furious combat in which you are supposed to operate the main character can be too fast and furious for some....
...an ancient gamer

Back