Bitcomet causes disconnections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amigosdefox

Im using a 2wire homeportal 1000sw wireless router and modem to access the internet with a pppoe broadband acount with my laptop. My laptop connects via a usb antenna also from 2wire to the router. For some reason when I use bitcomet, after a couple of minutes I loose internet connection. Even if i restart my computer the connection is not restablished. The only way to reconnect is to turn the router off and on again.
The problem usually ocurrs when I am having a high download rate.
Anybody know a possible solution for this? Thanks.

have you got any advanced packet forwarding set up on said router? you mentioned that you are using pppoe with a broadband modem, perhaps you should try selecting 'DHCP' instead of pppoe. by far the most common broadband modem connections are configured by dhcp. how is your laptop's lan address set up (dhcp or static)?

I think I have to use pppoe since my broadband provider requires username authentification to connect. My laptop has a dynamic ip adress assigned by the router I think. I forwarding tcp port 18307 to the laptop since its the one bitcomet uses.

You have a crappy router that cannot handle the amount of connections. Check your BT or firewall software or the router setup for an option to limit the number of simultaneous connections allowed.

I trust you have the latest firmware on the router?

Amigosdefox said:
Im using a 2wire homeportal 1000sw wireless router and modem to access the internet with a pppoe broadband acount with my laptop. My laptop connects via a usb antenna also from 2wire to the router. For some reason when I use bitcomet, after a couple of minutes I loose internet connection. Even if i restart my computer the connection is not restablished. The only way to reconnect is to turn the router off and on again.
The problem usually ocurrs when I am having a high download rate.
Anybody know a possible solution for this? Thanks.
The problem is your lack of proper bandwidth management, the problem you described for many years had been called a "quench". You saturated the router with bandwidth demands exceeding what it had available, the demand queues got larger and larger til it overflowed and hang the router.

Some routers rebooted when that occurs, the more well-built, the more responsive to data demand the router is the quicker it went through the "quench" and the reboots.

Use an online performance benchmark, find out what your up/down line bandwidth actually is to your ISP, it matters not at all for the maximum number of data streams or number of connections in the test(s).

Then use the obtained results as the up/down limits you will ever force your router to handle. When you exceed those bandwidth limits the router queues would get larger and larger til it overflows then hang.

When you exceed the bandwidth available the demand queues get larger, how fast or how slow the queues swelling up til overflow depended upon the number of data streams or the number of connections.

The greater the number of data streams or the number of connections the quicker it would quench or it would hang or it would reboot. The fewer the number of data streams or the number of connections the slower it would quench or it would hang or it would reboot.

Amigosdefox said:
But why do I not get the problem when connecting to the router with my desktop pc using ethernet?
Ofcourse you still get the problem with ethernet, the problem only varied in degree. Usually, it's Bitcomet on the PC which will crash from queues swelling and overflow, you simply moved the bottleneck further up or down stream causing slight differences in the resultant symptoms. If the network driver were poor, the driver will quench before Bitcomet did.

The symptoms became exagerated when you use something external the likes of "Netlimiter" program to force Bitcomet bandwidth limit rather than use its own built-in internal bandwidth limiting functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back