TechSpot

BitTorrent launches free personal file-swapping service

By Jos
Jan 6, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. BitTorrent just released a new cloud storage and file-sharing service that's set to rival YouSendIt, MegaUpload and the like. Simply called "Share", the new service combines BitTorrent peer-to-peer technology with…

Read the whole story

2. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Maniac Posts: 585   +79

it'll be interesting to see how this evolves.

3. it'll bog down as people flock to it... and they will see that they will have to charge for some premium features AND start making people wait in Que for the typical 20-45 secs. There is no free ride...

4. marinkvasina

marinkvasina TS Enthusiast Posts: 262   +9

stop trolling it won't happen like that
    Bittorent helps u everyday.

5. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,722   +63

bittorrent already is a free ride

6. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

FFS! QUE IS SPANISH FOR WHAT! Queue has five letters! The only 'que' that exists in the English language is a noun that means a half farthing, and since you do not even know what a farthing is I suggest you use the correct word for the job.

How many times do I have to correct people on TechSpot about 'Queue'?

Sigh…

7. Last time I checked, Amazon's EC2 and S3 wasn't free of charge so... Where's the catch?

It might become ad-supported, or offer a premium service beside the free, lesser service.
    I'll go for ad-supported.

8. Cellar

Cellar TS Rookie

How can they offer such a large service for free like this?

9. Hmm. The files can be sent to and from an e-mail address? Forgive me for being paranoid but it sounds like this was invented by the cops. I suppose everyone will be signing up for additional anonymous e-mail addresses.

10. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,690   +334

I don't think you understand how torrents work. The more people the faster it becomes.

How many email places are there that take more than 20 meg attachments? This seems to be for large files.

11. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,184   +177

Trackers don't cost much to maintain (compared to traditional file sharing networks) - they don't use much bandwidth as it is just an index effectively. The majority of the BW is in content and they don't do any distribution of that. The clients do.

So they only have a small amount of revenue required to cover the costs of the service and I'd imagine advertising can cover that.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.