BitTorrent launches free personal file-swapping service

Jos

BitTorrent just released a new cloud storage and file-sharing service that's set to rival YouSendIt, MegaUpload and the like. Simply called "Share", the new service combines BitTorrent peer-to-peer technology with Amazon's EC2 and S3 to store any type of file in the cloud and share it with a private group of people -- as opposed to creating a .torrent file for the public in general -- without size restrictions or fees.

For now the service is still an early Alpha phase, but the company has already released a stand-alone Share client for Windows and integrated it into the non-stable build of uTorrent for the Mac. To share files users are required to fill out "to" and "from" email addresses, and drag files or folders to the app to start uploading. Your recipients will then receive an email notifying them that they have files available to download. You can also connect with Facebook and create a sharing group based on your friend lists at the social network.

bittorrent

According to GigaOM, files are initially uploaded to Amazon's servers to provide caching, but they are also shared via a peer-to-peer connection as long as someone with the full file is online. As soon as a file is sufficiently shared by peers it is taken off the cloud, relying only on BitTorrent to cut hosting costs.

Here are some key features as detailed by BitTorrent in a recent blog post:

• No Limits: With no limits on number of sends, file size/quality, or number of recipients, users may send HD videos, high-res photo collections, and other oversized files – with no fees.
  • Ultra Fast Downloads: Share is built on top of an innovative file-sharing technology that is already used by over 100m people every month. Friends may now download the biggest files without the endless wait.
  • Private: Choose exactly who may access shared files. Set up groups to share with friends, family and co-workers, or just send a file to one person.
  • Social and Fun: Friends may comment on the files in real-time.

The new service will be integrated into all BitTorrent and µTorrent software clients after its alpha testing phase.

Permalink to story.

it'll bog down as people flock to it... and they will see that they will have to charge for some premium features AND start making people wait in Que for the typical 20-45 secs. There is no free ride...

Guest said:
it'll bog down as people flock to it... and they will see that they will have to charge for some premium features AND start making people wait in Que for the typical 20-45 secs. There is no free ride...
FFS! QUE IS SPANISH FOR WHAT! Queue has five letters! The only 'que' that exists in the English language is a noun that means a half farthing, and since you do not even know what a farthing is I suggest you use the correct word for the job.

How many times do I have to correct people on TechSpot about 'Queue'?

Sigh…

Last time I checked, Amazon's EC2 and S3 wasn't free of charge so... Where's the catch?

It might become ad-supported, or offer a premium service beside the free, lesser service.
I'll go for ad-supported.

Hmm. The files can be sent to and from an e-mail address? Forgive me for being paranoid but it sounds like this was invented by the cops. I suppose everyone will be signing up for additional anonymous e-mail addresses.

I don't think you understand how torrents work. The more people the faster it becomes.

Hmm. The files can be sent to and from an e-mail address? Forgive me for being paranoid but it sounds like this was invented by the cops. I suppose everyone will be signing up for additional anonymous e-mail addresses.

How many email places are there that take more than 20 meg attachments? This seems to be for large files.

How can they offer such a large service for free like this?
Trackers don't cost much to maintain (compared to traditional file sharing networks) - they don't use much bandwidth as it is just an index effectively. The majority of the BW is in content and they don't do any distribution of that. The clients do.

So they only have a small amount of revenue required to cover the costs of the service and I'd imagine advertising can cover that.

Back