TechSpot

Black screen twice on my Vista

By learninmypc
May 1, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Earlier I was surfing when the monitor went black & the laptop shut down. Simple as that/ I booted it up & no problems till a few minutes ago it happened again. Both times I had two tabs open. I'm going to save what needed in case I do a factory restore.` Vista Home Premium

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,475   +624

Overheating..? Download Speedfan and tell us temps.

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 5,385   +240

speedfan.JPG Got a link? Is that it ??

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  4. learninmypc

As odd as this may sound, is there any possibility room heat could affect my laptop?
    My laptop is well ventilated but these past two days it has been 75 to 85 in my room. Fan on FULL blast. I too am overheating but .....................................:)

5. learninmypc

I almost am convinced it was the HOT temps in my home cause it has been functioning fine since our big cool down, thank you, :) I will update as (if) needed.

6. St1ckM4n

The temps in the screenshot are normal, by the way.

7. learninmypc

Thank you kindly sir. I'll be getting me a fan to use specifically for this laptop. :)

8. learninmypc

Are these ok or not? It seems a bit warmer than normal

Attached Files:

9. St1ckM4n

Higher than normal, but still fine. Either the laptop was under load, or you somehow covered the fans.

10. learninmypc

That confuses me because its sitting flat on a table & was doing nothing at the time. Thank you any how :)

11. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,025   +154

the temps are almost the same as my old acer laptop, intel core 2 duo 1.6ghz, windows vista home premium x86 dual boot with windows 7 home premium x64.
    what I do to lower temperature is to add something like an old worn out mouse pad so that there is more clearance or air space between the base of the laptop and the surface it was placed on.

(I also previously used a cheap laptop usb fan cooler which helped bring down the temp.)

12. learninmypc

Ok, I know it is NOT advised to do so, but after I posted those temps, I immediately shut it down & after it cooled all the way down, I blew into the two vent like areas & then booted it back up. It has been running fine since then.
    I now have a piece of wood under the laptop. :)

13. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,855   +184

Sounds like the thermal pads and such are going to need replaced . Before long.

14. learninmypc

I certainly hope not, I'm sure that cost would be way over me. I guess I'll just baby it along. :)

15. Cobalt006

Yes you will have to baby it.If this is the case. Goodluck:)

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  16. learninmypc

:)

17. learninmypc

@Cobalt006 , I think it's partly my fault its over heating since laptops aren't intended to be on 24/7/365 & not to mention it's been unusually warm (hot) here lately.
    When its cooler, it runs fine. Still, I'm not going to let it run non-stop like I was. Thanks. :)

18. Cobalt006

Keep it well ventilated . Maybe even a small fan on it. When you do have it on. If the weather their is getting hot. It will hopefully be fine then.:)

learninmypc likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.