Blank screen after XP welcome screen

By xrispleytre
Jan 1, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Dell Latitude (laptop) C640 with the standard Radeon 7500 video and am running XP Pro SP2. I recently was updating the video driver and after running into some problems while doing so, I managed to remove the Display Adapter (why oh why does Plug and Play not recognize this??) After rebooting, I only get a blank screen after the welcome screen. The computer seems to be operational (wireless pci card is on, hard drive reacts from pressing the keyboard, CD drive reacts to a cd being inserted), but I cannot do anything. I have tried ALL of the modes under the F8 screen, but only get a blank screen with blinking cursor or just a blank screen. I cannot boot from my XP install disc, because nothing shows up on the screen. I have tried to connect to another machine via network cable, but need a password (which I never set up) to log on. I am at a complete loss. Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
  2. phantom

phantom Newcomer, in training

what induh?

I think i did the same thing on my desktop xp. The instructions for installation were close to useless and I now have a blank screen after the XP welcome window..

It told me to go into Display in control panel and disable the current graphics card so i did.. any help would be awesome..
  3. xrispleytre

xrispleytre Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I would LOVE to be able to access the control panel, but with the blank screen I am working blindly.
  4. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,623

xrispleytre, sounds like u need a format and start over or atleast a repair. can u do either?
  5. xrispleytre

I wish I could reformat or repair, but I need the screen to be working to see what I would be doing. If you know of a way to do those things with a blank screen, let me know! I really had assumed that Plug and Play would have detected the display after it had been removed (as it does with almost all other components.) Anyway, I think I am going to remove the video card and see about replacing it.
  6. xrispleytre

Now the speakers are gone!!

I was able to re-install XP with a bootable cd rom, and everything is back to normal....except the machine does not recognize the built-in speakers! I went into the control panel, but am not able to do anything with the sound properties. Oh well, maybe next time!!!
  7. nickc

have u got all the drivers for the laptop, if so I think if u reinstall all u'r problems will go away. if u do not have them go to the Dell site and do a search for them and see if they can be downloaded, I have never had a Dell laptop and do not know if they can be.
  8. phantom

phantom Newcomer, in training

Im still screwed with my desktop.. I dont have a reboot cd (gateway tower i bought) and stupidly didnt make a restore cd so i guess im SOL

cant get in with safe mode either
  9. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,732   +156

It's time to take it to a repair shop i would think. I repair laptops, but there are things I can't do. I sent a Sony Vaio notebook off for repair. I replaced the CPU fans, the CD R/W and the DC jack... It needed a motherboard. The customer could have bought another laptop for what this is going to cost
  10. AlexPanos

AlexPanos Newcomer, in training

Hi,
    These matters are usually tackled while you enter DOS with the help of a recovery CD. WinXP provides for a such a recovery.
    Another way is to create an image of your primary Hard Disc C and save it in an external Hard Disc or storage device.
    If your physical HD has more than one partitions then you must create an image of C regarded as a partition.
    There are several programs out there for doing this. Eg Norton's Ghost Image can do the job by using the option Partion C to Image.
    In order to keep the image size relatively small PC users partition the physical HD into two partitions. In the primary partition C they install the operating system and in the other install all their applications and data.
    This choice allows them to store a small image of C into an external storage device in the case problems arise as above.
    Then they simply reformat C and re-install the image from the external drive.
    Of course, there several approaches to your problem. I have just described one of the several available.
    I hope the above is of help to you and Good luck.
  11. tweakboy

tweakboy TechSpot Maniac Posts: 518

Go into safe mode,, Run driver cleaner pro ,

remove the driver , ATI or nvidia ,,

Reboot system and it will come up, Now install latest official catalyst from www.ati.com ,,

should be good to go ,

12. xrispleytre

Again, any and all of the modes in the F8 safe mode screens were useless because the screen would go blank. I solved the problem by simply using my boot cd rom and repairing the install.
  13. nickc

xrispleytre, glad to hear u got urs fixed
  14. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

Hmmm...I hope Vista doesn't pull this stuff off or :blackeye: <------Microsoft :D <------Me!
  15. xrispleytre

Glad it is fixed. Not glad that I probably have to reformat the drive anyway due to the 'conflict' of MS drivers and Dell audio (Crystal4205?!?!"!##!#¤"¤%&)¤#")
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.