Blinking/Flashing Models In Jedi Knight 2 After Latest Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone else out there has had any problems running JK2 on a Radeon 64 DDR VIVO? It was running fine until I patched JK2. Now all the character models blink like a strobe light. If I'm in first person mode it looks like just the weapon model blinks along with a few of the wall textures. It almost looks like the gamma is going on up and down on certain textures and skins.

Im running the latest ATI drivers and I've tried a few things using tweaker but nothing seems to stop the damn blinking. I've also tried selectively enabling/diabling certain graphic options in the game, but that didn't work either..

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Sounds like the game will need a patch.(sorry..)
Reinstall (deinstall 1st)
Not sure if it will keep your saved games in seperate folder.Gotta hope so but...
Save you doing it all again as obviously the patch 'screwed' your gaming, (in simple terms...but the truth remains).
OH!...by the way...Which patch & y?

Though I'm not having the same problem, I also wanted to add that once installed the patch, EAX HD becomes available however the implementation seems rather poor because I'm getting sudden slowdowns everytime I enable it, if I go and put it off, the game runs fine again... pretty smooth with an Athlon XP 1700+ and GeForce4 Ti4600. I use an Audigy soundcard, too.

If anyone has got any hints on this one please let me know.
BTW, I'm running with Compaq leaked drivers, I will probably try using the officially released ones tomorrow.

I have an Audigy Gamer card and I haven't noticed any slowdowns there, but then again I don't play all that long, I just try out new things trying to fix this strobe effect :)

The patch is located here:
http://support.lucasarts.com/patches/jedioutcast.htm

It adds EAX support, force feed back support, etc... I've heard it causes problems on a variety of systems though :( , not just systems running Radeon cards..

-schu

To be honest the flashing models sounds like a Driver problem, though you might wanna check out http://www.rage3d.com about that, tried toggling some of the in-game options? e.g. using "Simple" shadows only, etc.

As regards EAX Adavanced HD. Just copy & paste this as it's changed a bit with Compaq drivers :)

On Soundcards which do provide OpenAL support (Verifiable by the existence of OpenAL32.dll in your Windows system directory) you should delete or rename the OpenAl32.dll file contained in the game directory so that the Soundcard can use the correct OpenAl32.dll which provides improved Audio & positioning quality & better performance over the game’s OpenAL wrapper.

Got it! Thanks will try that next time I play... so far the game has been cool, but those puzzles... ahgrr... puzzles ain't good for a FPS.

Originally posted by TS | Julio
Got it! Thanks will try that next time I play... so far the game has been cool, but those puzzles... ahgrr... puzzles ain't good for a FPS.
Puzzles are good, just the Jedi Outcast ones aren't ;)

Solution Found

Ok, I think I figured it out... On another forum someone said that it worked fine after reinstalling and starting over.. So I figured I'd just try restarting from the beginning of the game with my current install, and it worked fine... Then I figured.. If that worked, why not just restart the level I'm on now. I just so happened to have a save game right in the middle of the intro to the level I'm on, so I loaded that up and it worked! So, if there is a console command to restart the level or if you have a save game from just before the level you're on, it should work, at least it did for me...

-schu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back