TechSpot

Blizzard rewards faithful 'World Of Warcraft' gamers with miniature Orc statue

By Shawn Knight
Jan 18, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. World of Warcraft celebrated its 10 year anniversary last fall. Albeit several months late, Blizzard is rewarding its most loyal fans with a limited edition gift to commemorate the momentous occasion.

Read more

2. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +198

Says not for sale or resale on the bottom of the box. Good luck avoiding blizzards enormous ban hammer while selling on ebay .

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

Very cool of them. I would have mixed feeling about getting one though. On one hand, it proves you've spent 10 years playing WoW, and on the other hand, it proves you've spent 10 years playing WoW.

4. Well technically it only means you have kept your account active (paid) for the past 10 years. It says nothing of ./played. Beats cable in my opinion. :)

Night Hacker likes this.
  5. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,898   +941

Well, $15/m for 120 months means you've spent $1800 on WoW. Enjoy your miniature statue.

Burty117, Arris and Night Hacker like this.
  6. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,555   +858

how much money have all of us spent on various other video games over the last 10 years? You do you and let them do them.

USAvenger likes this.
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,551   +2,894

But but but but what on earth would we have to talk about, if we all minded our own business?

Night Hacker likes this.
  8. Night Hacker

Night Hacker TS Enthusiast Posts: 125   +20

$15/month plus many character fees for transfers to new servers etc... bah... I've wasted my life. ;) But it does beat TV, which I very rarely watch.

Arris likes this.
  9. Based on 0.50 cents a day, you have any idea how cheap that is for entertainment?

Some people spend more then $1800 a year on booze per semester.

10. Steve

Steve TechSpot Editor Posts: 2,216   +1,240

Really Blizzard is saying “for losing all your friends, having your wife/girlfriend leave you, gaining a considerable amount of weight and becoming depressed with your life here is a miniature Orc statue. It won’t give you your life back but you might make $300 - $800 on eBay, so that’s something”.

Burty117 and Arris like this.
  11. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 469   +97

Just how many subscribers lasted for 10 years? Thats what I'm curious to know.

12. Proof blizzard loves the horde

13. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,606   +287

Given the amount people spend on cosmetic upgrades in the game (mounts and pets) they ought to love this...

Glad I kicked this to the kerb years ago although have to agree with Night Hacker, beats watching the majority of drivel that gets broadcast on TV here in the UK. You are in some way socializing and engaging your brain. Although doing high level raiding is more of a job than a way of relaxing.

14. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,606   +287

I always like to say, there are only so many ways of re-working "Don't stand in the fire" boss encounters. Hard to keep it fresh. I think a lot of people stay because of friendships forged in the game rather than still finding the game as enjoyable as in the early days of MMO.

15. Randomthom

Randomthom TS Enthusiast Posts: 47   +16

I'd be curious to know too. I played at launch & have played in every expansion but I have taken several year+ long breaks along the way.

It's easy to be cynical about WoW but it is still a very good product & I'm enjoying the latest expansion more than any previous except perhaps the 1st (Burning Crusade).

That said, I don't mind that I'm not getting a statue, while I enjoy WoW I don't generally advertise that fact to friends! It's fun but it's not cool.

16. Misagt

Misagt TS Booster Posts: 100   +43

That is the same amount I have spent on steam over the years and I have over 500 titles now. Personally I'd take a massive library over a statue.

17. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,455   +606

I have a figureprint of my Draenei Mage and I love it. I don't play WoW anymore but hardcore raiding during the Lich King days was some of the best online gaming I ever experienced.

MilwaukeeMike likes this.