TechSpot

Blockbuster being auctioned off today

By Emil
Apr 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Bankrupt movie rental chain Blockbuster is being auctioned off today. Multiple bidders will fight for the rights to the company's next owner as well as the amount of money available to pay off its claims. The auction could preserve Dallas-based Blockbuster as an ongoing business, although bidders also have the option of liquidating the company, or closing it.

Read the whole story

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,356   +283

I would've liked to give $100 for Blockbuster just for the pleasure of liquidating them and donating the liquidation proceeds to helping the homeless in the US.

3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

When your business model can be replaced by a vending machine, you have failed.

4. war59312

war59312 TS Member Posts: 80

I (and probably thousands more) were screaming (both literally and online) for Blockbuster to buy out Netflix right when they started getting big a few years back, but no, Blockbuster thought companies like Netflix were only a FAD.

I guess Blockbuster was the FAD. *****s! Glad they are going out of business. Nothing but problems in my neck of the woods. In fact so bad, we (the neighbor community) had our local once shut down over a year ago. It sucked. Rip off artists!

So no crying from me!

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,968   +955

I believe that Blockbuster briefly dabbled in vending DVDs by machine also. The machines were gray, and DVDs were supplied in standard sales boxes, in lieu of custom tailored cases a la "Redbox".

I think the marketing name was, "DVD Express".

It would seem that the kiosk vending model didn't work for Blockbuster either.

6. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,710   +62

There vending prices were probably insane like there rental prices. I feel no pity for them they bullied out all of the grocery store video rental stores and mom and pop video stores. If they were smart they would have just copied netflix, with there logo they would have destroyed netflex. But low and behold they did not strike while the iron was hot.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.