Blocking the Internet using a Netgear router

musicfret

hello everyone, I'm looking for an answer to a parental question. I have a couple of boys that don't know when to get off the internet! I'm wondering how I can shut down the internet access at a certain time of the day than start it back up again. I'm using a netgear router, don't remember the model # off hand. There is two computers a nd two xboxes wired to the router. Can anyone shed some light on this problem.....telling them to get off obviously didn't work....LOL. Thanks for any help.

If they live under your roof, they should follow your rules. Shut off the router manually, until they understand your wishes...

You'll have to find the boys computers IP Addresses, and use the routers configuration utility to block them. I don't know if there is a timed block feature in that router

just fyi... I currently have a Netgear wireless N router that allows the router config to block by schedule web sites or by services (or ALL services to block all internet access). (I believe my older Netgear G routers also allowed for these as well).

You'll need to check the model number (find it on the router) and you can get online manuals at the Netgear website.

On the Netgear router config. (Assuming you see the same Netgear router config menu as i currently have (or will be similar. The manual should show you)
> Click LAN Setup. You'll see Address Reservation. Use Address Reservation menu to reserve IP address assignments by computer (so you can block sites/services by specific and reserved IP address and know IP address assignments for a computer won't change). So you can block just the boys' computers and allow your own

> Click Schedule to set Schedule

> Click Block Services, check Per Schedule.. Now services will be blocked by schedule you set. You can use the pull down menu to block ALL services for their IP addresses

Oh. One more note/explanation: (just in case you weren't aware)

Do the boys' have laptops? As each network adapter should be assigned its own IP address. (So a laptop may need 2 IP addresses reserved: one for the LAN adapter and one for the wireless adapter)

Basically works as follows: Every hardware network adapter manufactured has its own unique hardware identifier called a "MAC address". You config Netgear to reserve IP addresses based on the MAC address. Netgear makes it easy. When you click on the Add button for Address Reservation, it'll show you all the connected adapters and their MAC address. Just assign each network adapter on the boys' computers an IP :)

Oh. One more note/explanation: (just in case you weren't aware)

Do the boys' have laptops? As each network adapter should be assigned its own IP address. (So a laptop may need 2 IP addresses reserved: one for the LAN adapter and one for the wireless adapter)

Basically works as follows: Every hardware network adapter manufactured has its own unique hardware identifier called a "MAC address". You config Netgear to reserve IP addresses based on the MAC address. Netgear makes it easy. When you click on the Add button for Address Reservation, it'll show you all the connected adapters and their MAC address. Just assign each network adapter on the boys' computers an IP :)
Bravo! Great suggestion; this forces static IP address to each adaptor so that the rule set can have fixed target systems.

If you need to deal with BOTH wired & wireless from the same system (overt effort to circumvent your controls)
then set system#1 IP ~ 192.168.x.11 for wired and 192.168.x.12 for wireless
System#2 IP becomes 192.168.x.21 & 192.168.x.22
(ie the tens digit in the last number becomes the system# and the units digit becomes the interface; 1=wired, 2=wireless)

If you map EVERY system or device with MAC=>IP assignments, then you can
disable DHCP to enforce your lan device assignments w/o touching any remote system.

Hi jobeard

A couple questions/comments (between us two geeks ;) )

I think there's a subtle distinction between assigning "static IPs' vs. Address Reservation

Static IPs
> Are assigned by configuring the local computer
> Your computer then asks the router for same and specific IP address each time
> Static IPs should be outside the DHCP address range controlled and assigned by the router

Address Reservation
> IP addresses Are assigned by configuring the router
> Your computer makes a DHCP request to your router
> When the router sees the network adapter's MAC address on the DCHP request, it assigns it your IP reserved address for MAC address

Address Reservation works with DHCP. If you turnoff DHCP on the router, then address reservations don't apply. (in fact, it's sometimes also referred to as "DHCP Addresss Reservation")

/* edit */
And if i understand your post correctly, you're suggesting a naming convention? But any IP address reservation would actually work?
If you need to deal with BOTH wired & wireless from the same system (overt effort to circumvent your controls)
then set system#1 IP ~ 192.168.x.11 for wired and 192.168.x.12 for wireless
System#2 IP becomes 192.168.x.21 & 192.168.x.22
(ie the tens digit in the last number becomes the system# and the units digit becomes the interface; 1=wired, 2=wireless)

you may well be correct in your analysis - - sorry for the misstatement :eek:

you all were great in your help....i really appreciate the input!!! It worked like a charm! Thanks again!!!!
Glad you got it working!

Those settings are good for now, but after thinking about it, I'd suggest a slight change when you have the chance (this change plugs a possible hole in my last instructions). (One example: friend sleep over, where friend brings their laptop and friend's computer could get on your internet if you had blocked only the boys' specific IP addresses)

So, instead of reserving and blocking select IP addresses
> Reserve IPs for the network adapters on your own computers (i.e. those you want to ALLOW and not block)
> Then block the remaining range of IPs!

Example:
> The Netgear router is likely 192.168.1.1
> Reserve the first IP addresses for yourself (i.e. reserve 192.168.1.2 for your own net adapter)
> Then tell Netgear to block the remaining range from 192.168.1.3 through 192.168.1.255

Now the Block Per Schedule will be applied to all open IPs that could be assigned to any new/"unapproved" network adapters!

musicfret,
were you able to put a timed block on the boys IP addresses, or will you have to unblock them manually?

Any way to set a "countdown" timer on my Netgear router?

On my router, I just block the most popular sites they like to visit...Youtube, Facebook, ect., that I don't want the kids to visit when their computer time gets out of hand.

One question I have for all the smart people out there...on my Netgear router, I can set the times I want to allow access (for example from 7pm until 10pm), but I'd like to somehow set a countdown timer. For instance, to allow two hours a day on Facebook, (anytime during the day), then it shuts down Facebook. Any input from anyone on how I could do that?

I've never seen a "countdown timer" on a Netgear (which, of course, doesn't mean it doesn't exist somewhere - i've just never yet noticed that feature on a netgear or other router yet)

Tho you might try googling a bit.. there's probably a software product you might try (if it has a free trial version to check out)

I had six kids to manage, and this is what I did. My kids had to buy internet time. What, no money? Okay, so I made a list of things I needed done around the house, ie rake leaves, take out trash, load the dishwasher, etc. (In this way, I'm teaching them nothing in life is free) I assigned points that they could buy video gaming time, computer time, phone time, time up after bed time, etc. I then activated the GUEST part of my netgear, and changed the password for the main, which remains mine, and mine alone. I then put in a password for the guest network, and change it often. you can also get on your router and cut certain computers off the network anytime you choose. I learned this in a positive reinforcement parenting class for ADHD children. None of my children were ever on drugs, all are in college or gainfully employed, and my ADHD son is Military Computer Security now. Yes, it's a hands on approach, but parenting is a job.

and my ADHD son is Military Computer Security now.
be advised: If he knows his stuff, then he will figure out how to reset your efforts (psst: it only takes physical access to the router and knowing the default pwd for that make/model)
changed the password for the main, which remains mine, and mine alone.
monitor that it and the guest pwd are what you think they should be and if not, the horse is out of the barn :sigh:
Yes, it's a hands on approach, but parenting is a job.
yes-- a FULL TIME job. keep up the good work :)

Back