Blue Origin successfully completes its first crewed spaceflight with Bezos in tow

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: These historic flights have blazed a path for the era of space tourism and it’ll be interesting to see just how quickly the industry grows. As the process and the technology involved is further refined, pricing will no doubt come down, making the opportunity available to far more people. What an interesting time to be alive.

Add Blue Origin to the growing list of private space companies that have successfully taken passengers to space. The aerospace manufacturer and space tourism company on Tuesday completed its first crewed flight.

The jaunt, which spanned roughly 10 minutes from takeoff to touchdown, carted founder Jeff Bezos and his brother, as well as aviation pioneer Wally Funk and Oliver Daemen to space to experience the joys of weightlessness and catch a glimpse of our home planet in a way that few humans have.

Bezos and crew were expected to be among the first private citizens to visit space, but Virgin Galactic narrowly beat Blue Origin to the punch with its Unity 22 mission on July 11.

Still, Blue Origin set multiple records with its flight. Of the two, it was the only one to cross the Kármán line which many consider to be the true boundary between Earth and space (at 62 miles above sea level).

The flight also included both the youngest astronaut ever (Oliver Daemen at age 18) and the oldest (Wally Funk, age 82).

Permalink to story.

"...the Kármán line (...) at 62 miles above sea level...". Why 62 miles? Because it's such a nice, round (metric) number...

Why does it look like a giant phallus? Was that intentional? You know, half of us remain uncircumcised…is this a slap in the face to non-Jews? I’m confused.

Why does it look like a giant phallus? Was that intentional?
Yes, it simbolizes the biggest dickheads onboard.

You know, half of us remain uncircumcised…is this a slap in the face to non-Jews? I’m confused.
Half? Are you living in a jewish community? The official data suggests there are only about 15 million jews in the world, that's 0.18% of world population. Unless you know non-jews people who get circumcised?

Yes, it simbolizes the biggest dickheads onboard.

Half? Are you living in a jewish community? The official data suggests there are only about 15 million jews in the world, that's 0.18% of world population. Unless you know non-jews people who get circumcised?
Thousands if not millions of non Jewish men have been circumcised for decades. Genital mutilation is not just for women you know.

Are you all suggesting that it needs a wind breaker hood style on the tip? That slowly peels back as you get closer to space.
Then it lands, back on earth, all wet n stinky.
Or was that Bezos.
11 minutes? Didn't even take crackers to the moon. Da hell mang!

On January 31, 1961, Ham, whose name was an acronym for H olloman A ero M ed, became the first chimpanzee in space, aboard the Mercury Redstone rocket on a sub-orbital flight very similar to Alan Shepard's.

220px-Ham_the_chimp_%28cropped%29.jpg

I'm pretty sure Ham didn't have to push many, if any, buttons on his mission either.

Not to mention the Mercury Redstone launch vehicle was tasteful enough to not look like a a humongous sex toy either.

Also note this was 3 years before Jeff Bezos was even born,. (January 12, 1964)., almost to the day.

Last edited:
On January 31, 1961, Ham, whose name was an acronym for H olloman A ero M ed, became the first chimpanzee in space, aboard the Mercury Redstone rocket on a sub-orbital flight very similar to Alan Shepard's.

220px-Ham_the_chimp_%28cropped%29.jpg

I'm pretty sure Ham didn't have to push many, id any, buttons on his mission either.

Not to mention the Mercury Redstone launch vehicle was tasteful enough to not look like a a humongous sex toy either.

Also note this was 3 years before Jeff Bezos was even born,. (January 12, 1964)., almost to the day.
And as Neil Degrasse-Tyson has pointed out in several interviews on this, and Branson's "Achievement," it was all done 60-years ago already. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Redstone_3#:~:text=Alan Bartlett Shepard, Jr. Mercury-Redstone 3, or Freedom,orbit around the Earth and return him safely.

But, what the hey - if Bezos wants to demonstrate that he can mimic a monkey, why not let him knock himself out. 🤣

Last edited:
"...the Kármán line (...) at 62 miles above sea level...". Why 62 miles? Because it's such a nice, round (metric) number...
As I understand it, from Neil Degrasse-Tyson's explanation on Fareed Zakaria GPS, it's because that is the point where the sky is no longer blue due to atmospheric scattering of light.

And as Neil Degrasse-Tyson has pointed out in several interviews on this, and Branson's "Achievement," it was all done 60-years ago already.
Yeah but, the chimp was still first, and both he and Sheppard went further and higher than either of those two filthy rich douche bags.

In fact, I was about 13 at the time, and recall avidly watching most of those early launches on Daddy's B & W TV..

IIRC, NASA, actually met with some resistance from pilots they were trying to recruit as astronauts.

It seems they were somewhat averse to being "a monkey in a tin can", as opposed to grabbing the stick of an F-104 and actually flying it themselves.

Last edited:
Why does it look like a giant phallus? Was that intentional?
Almost all rockets do, this is more pronounced due to the length of the rocket. Unlike orbital class rockets this has no upper stage just the booster and capsule (same way Alan Shepard went into space hence the booster name). Without the second stage the rocket looks pretty short and fat.

Why does it look like a giant phallus? Was that intentional? You know, half of us remain uncircumcised…is this a slap in the face to non-Jews? I’m confused.

That's why the headline says:
"Blue Origin successfully completes its first screwed spaceflight with Bezos in tow"

Vitaly, you obviously don't know that 80% of Americans are also circumcised. The only nation on the planet who are doing it for non-religious reasons. Actually, for no logical reason.

Almost all rockets do, this is more pronounced due to the length of the rocket. Unlike orbital class rockets this has no upper stage just the booster and capsule (same way Alan Shepard went into space hence the booster name). Without the second stage the rocket looks pretty short and fat.
Well, not all spacecraft go so far as to appear like a giant dildo, as does Mr. Bezos' "Blue Origin".

Not all phallic symbols are necessarily cylindrical either. Take this for example. the one for "the father of our country">

WashMonument_WhiteHouse_%28cropped%29.jpg

Even built as a tapering rectangle, it still succeeds in getting its "point across".

Last edited:
As I understand it, from Neil Degrasse-Tyson's explanation on Fareed Zakaria GPS, it's because that is the point where the sky is no longer blue due to atmospheric scattering of light.
I've read recounts from SR-71 pilots of "flying in black skies". While the 71's ramjet engines still required oxygen, at their operational altitude (about 85,000 ft, give or take), they were still above 90+% of the earths atmosphere.

While I don't doubt the boundary point you describe, it's more than likely at the point where oxygen and nitrogen atoms can no longer be detected, I do think that's much higher than the point where the sky is perceived as "black".

Back