TechSpot

Blue screen error ( page-fault-in-nonpaged-area partition) help ¡¡¡¡¡

By gat
Feb 17, 2005
  1. Hi.
    Yesterday i bought a ner seagate 80 GB HHD, formatted it and installed win xp pro. Then i isntalled office XP and a few utilities.

Next, i proceeded creating another partiton (a NTFS logical one).
    Partition Magic did it but named the new one as unit E.
    I wanted to change the unit lettre as D so i first changed my cd rom to unit F, then new partition to D: and, finally cd rom to E.

When i was changing my documents folder path to be in the new partition appeared a blue screen with this message: page-fault-in-nonpaged-area partition

After it i couldn´t do anything more.
    I tried to reboot but after the win logo started the blue screen appeared again.

i also tried to boot in safe mode but just the same.

Do anyone knows what can be the problem and how to fix it????
    Thanks
    Also i tried to boot in safe mode but just the same ¡¡¡

DO anyone knows the problem and how to fix it????
    Thanks ¡¡¡

2. fishhookz

fishhookz TS Rookie Posts: 79

Don't know how to fix it. But once I messed with the driver letters for Recycle Bin, I lost Windows. It would boot and show log-in, and log out as soon as I tried to log in. Wouldn't do that again.

If there are 4 or fewer partitions and only one is FAT32, no need for logical. I got tired of fine-tuning partitions. Now I'd just divide the drive in half. 80 / 2 = 40 + 40. First being FAT32, and 2nd being My Doc. That way, XP installed on the first FAT32 will be on C drive. The 2nd being D drive. I save all the stuff in My Doc on the D drive. You can right-click My Doc to move files to another drive.

3. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

how about last known good condition
    you should have that option with xp

4. gat

gat TS Rookie Topic Starter

I deleted the partitions then created again before installing winXp and now the unit letters are correct: first HDD partition (C),second (d) and cd rom (D).

The difference is that i partitiones the disk before installing the OS.

But i don´t understand why changing unit letters in XP worked in such fatal way.

Now im i bit scared when running windows becaouse still it´s too soon to say that the problem is fixed but lets see what happen in the next days ¡¡¡

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ¡¡¡¡¡

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.