Blue screen on turning on Wi-Fi

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem with my GF's computer.
She used to have an IBM Thinkpad but it has recently broke down and her brother bought her an old Acer Travelmate 290 for use in the meantime.

Anyway, the computer was badly infected with a virus so she asked me to fix it. I basically formatted the C: drive, set up windows XP SP3 and reinstalled all the software, including Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 for the virus scan. However, the wifi stopped functioning right after the format.

Prior to the format, it ran nicely. However, now the computer would go into a blue screen every time I turned the wireless router on. If the router is off or the wifi button is not turned on, the computer works just fine.

The blue screen would say Irql-not-less-or-equal stop message
*** stop:0x0000000A (0xFF1701F0,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x804D9B64)

I have tried to google the problem and the only solution seems to be updating the wireless driver. And for the last two days, I did just that, having downloaded the driver from Intel site and from Acer site. However, the problem persists.

Attached are the last few minidump files from her computer.

Please help! I'm at my wit's ends!!!

Attachments

• Mini050511-16.dmp
    64 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini050511-15.dmp
    64 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini050511-14.dmp
  • Mini050511-13.dmp
  • Mini050511-12.dmp
As per your minidumps the issue is with your Intel wireless driver w22n51.sys. Question: Did you uninstall the drivers from Intel before installing the ones from Acer? Acer are the ones you want.

When you went to Acer's website did you find the exact system model and update the very latest NIC/wireless drivers?

Thanks for the reply.

As per the second question, I go to Acer US.
The choice is relatively straight forward: Notebook-Travelmate-Travelmate 290 then Windows XP Professional x32 and WirelessLan as the last selection.
Therefore, I don't think there can be any mistakes in my selecting the Acer driver.

However, when I download the driver, the file is named as WLAN_Intel(2100)_1.6.0.46_XPx86 (I can't post the link yet!). Does that mean the Acer driver is from Intel as well?

As about the first question, I have just uninstalled everything, including the wireless driver, be it Intel or Acer, from Device Manager-Networks Adaptor-Intel Wireless Proset. Then I also uninstalled it from Network Connection-Wireless Network Connection-Advanced Settings-Configure-Driver-Uninstall.

After the uninstallation, the wireless network connection icon in the Network Connections windows disappeared. No more Intel Wireless whatsoever.

After a restart, I install the file downloaded above, running the application first then install the driver. However, the problem still persists. Everytime I turn the wifi on, the blue screen would pop up.

If there is no possible solution, I will have to think of getting a 5 meter long cable for my GF. Still, thanks for your kind help!

Back