TechSpot

Boot Problem- Floppy Drive

By SHANE'S MOM
Jul 29, 2006
  1. I Can't Get My Pc To Do Anything, Error Says Reinsert Floppy And Hit Any Key. It Is Windows 98. I Can't Even Get To Safe Boot! I Am Not Very Good With Computers. This Pc Belonged To My Son Shane And He Passed Away In Dec. Of 2005 And I Want To See What I Can Save Of His, This Means Sooo Much To Me. He Was Teaching Me About Computers Before He Got Sick.

Thanks So Much

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

If y have a firend with a computer then you can take the hard drive from that one and install it as a slave drive in the other computer. You should then be able to access any files that are on the drive.

3. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Rookie Posts: 2,407   +6

Is that the message that shows up when there is a non-Windows floppy in the drive at the time of boot?

4. SHANE'S MOM

SHANE'S MOM TS Rookie Topic Starter

Boot

As Soon As I Turn On The Computer It Shows That .

5. SHANE'S MOM

Slave Drive

Sorry, But How Do I Do That. I Am So Bad With This! And Can I Save The Computer? I Would Like To Be Able To Use It.

6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

Take the floppy off the drive when starting the computer.

7. SHANE'S MOM

Floppy -boot, Problem

WHEN I TURN ON PC IT SHOWS PC INFO AND THEN SHOWS THIS ERROR ( DISK I\O ERROR. THEN SOMTIMES IT WILL SAY LOADING WINDOWS 98 AND ASK FOR A COMMAND (TYPE THE NAME OF THE COMMAND INTERPRETER (e. g. C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)). I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TYPE.

8. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

I have deleted your new thread, as you already have this thread here.

Please don`t open any more threads for this subject, continue to post in this one. Thanks.

Regards Howard :)

9. joked u 2

joked u 2 TS Rookie Posts: 191

the whole takeing the drive to anothre computer will be difficult so lets see if we can get this one working. at the prompt try typeing win . it may not work but its worth a try. if there is a floppy diskette in the drive push the button to get it out and go from there.

10. SHANE'S MOM

Thanks, I'll Give It A Try. I Hope I Can Save My Pics And Files It Would Mean So Much To Me

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.