TechSpot

Boot Problem- Floppy Drive

By SHANE'S MOM
Jul 29, 2006
  1. I Can't Get My Pc To Do Anything, Error Says Reinsert Floppy And Hit Any Key. It Is Windows 98. I Can't Even Get To Safe Boot! I Am Not Very Good With Computers. This Pc Belonged To My Son Shane And He Passed Away In Dec. Of 2005 And I Want To See What I Can Save Of His, This Means Sooo Much To Me. He Was Teaching Me About Computers Before He Got Sick.

Thanks So Much

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

If y have a firend with a computer then you can take the hard drive from that one and install it as a slave drive in the other computer. You should then be able to access any files that are on the drive.

3. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

Is that the message that shows up when there is a non-Windows floppy in the drive at the time of boot?

4. SHANE'S MOM

SHANE'S MOM TS Rookie Topic Starter

Boot

As Soon As I Turn On The Computer It Shows That .

5. SHANE'S MOM

Slave Drive

Sorry, But How Do I Do That. I Am So Bad With This! And Can I Save The Computer? I Would Like To Be Able To Use It.

6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Take the floppy off the drive when starting the computer.

7. SHANE'S MOM

Floppy -boot, Problem

WHEN I TURN ON PC IT SHOWS PC INFO AND THEN SHOWS THIS ERROR ( DISK I\O ERROR. THEN SOMTIMES IT WILL SAY LOADING WINDOWS 98 AND ASK FOR A COMMAND (TYPE THE NAME OF THE COMMAND INTERPRETER (e. g. C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)). I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TYPE.

8. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

I have deleted your new thread, as you already have this thread here.

Please don`t open any more threads for this subject, continue to post in this one. Thanks.

Regards Howard :)

9. joked u 2

joked u 2 TS Rookie Posts: 128

the whole takeing the drive to anothre computer will be difficult so lets see if we can get this one working. at the prompt try typeing win . it may not work but its worth a try. if there is a floppy diskette in the drive push the button to get it out and go from there.

10. SHANE'S MOM

Thanks, I'll Give It A Try. I Hope I Can Save My Pics And Files It Would Mean So Much To Me

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.