Boot up takes exactly 10 minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laptop has got a problem during boot up. It says (I have verbose mode enabled) "executing wlnotify.dll ... ", and it would stay there for exactly 10 minutes. At that point the screen goes black and a floating Windows XP logo floats around. If I then touch the touchpad, I get my normal login screen. Can anyone tell why this happened? I've tried restoring the registry (using sfc /scannow), checking for virus and trojans, but so far I can not solved this mystery. I have atext file export of winlogon registry, but it is too long to post it here. LMK, where I can post it if anyone wants to take a crack at it. Thanks.

I need to step out (why am I telling you this)

But, thought I might mention, set your screen saver to 1 minute, and see if it takes only 1 minute next boot up. (roundabout fix - definately)

Your system requires better attention than this though

try this little tool Fix Logon

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_FixLogon.zip

This utility checks for the correct GINA value in the Registry and will allow you to restore it, if its incorrect. Not a virus.

I also tested it on my computer first, to make sure what happens
Downloaded zip file XP_FixLogon
Extracted to Desktop
Double click to Open
If Repair highlights click on it.

Also confirmed many other tech boards have suggested it, with little or no description. But I must admit that I should have supplied info innitially.

Do you think smart people would download & run a 40 kB application without any information about it? Of course it can't be a virus...

do you have a login password for your windows account? a simple thing eg: user: N3051m, password: a should suffice.. just to test if it happens before or after you try and get to login..

If you have XP SP1 you should update it to SP2, since it fixes some issues with slow loging-ins

safe mode have the same problem?
did you install/changed anything recently? think of what you were doing the day before this started happening..
unplug the network cable (if you're using)/disable wifi and see if that makes a difference?

you should check your system thoroughly.. especially if you notice that after you get to the desktop your pc is slightly laggy. Follow this guide to make sure you're clean and post the logs in the Security and Web section: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

The problem occurred soon after my grandson randomly hit the keyboard while watching some video (including the power switch!). In the process of resolving this, I've upgraded to SP3(from SP2), restoring wlnotify.dll, did sfc /scannow, ran SpyBot and Adaware 2007, but it did not solve the problem. Last night I did a chkdsk /F and although it says it found a problem, it could not fix it and scheduled a run during the next restart. I said y (yes). I then ran my HD utility that came with my disk and it says my disk is 100% healthy (only 6 month old drive). I rebooted, and now it worked fine. Boot time is now less than a minute! ( I tried to keep a lean startup list, and checked it often!).

BTW, I did try to vary the screensaver sleep time since I thought it may have something to do with it. I tried 1, 5, 15, and 20 minute, but the 10 minute problem remained until I did chkdsk as mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back