Booting from a SATA drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a computer bought in 2002, with a Biostar u8668 MoBo, a 40GB IDE drive (master) and an 80GB IDE drive (slave). I bought a 500GB SATA drive (WD5000AAKS, if you need that) and a VIA VT6421 PCI board with two internal and one external SATA ports and an IDE one. I want to remove the 40GB drive and replace ity with the 500GB one, leaving the 80GB as storage. I managed to install Windows XP in the new drive, but to complete the installation I need to boot from it, and I don't know how to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I may be completely out of date with this advice because i still got good old fashioned ide!

If you go to your bios there is usually a "boot device" option in there. Pick the drive you wish to boot from in the list. save and exit.

Ps.. Turn on your pc and press f2 (i think ?) a few times to get to your bios settings.

Hope this helps :)

48 Bit LBA......????

I'm not entirely sure of the vintage of computer that could possibly encounter this difficult, but it is worth mentioning.
The motherboard must be enabled with "48 bit LBA" (logical block addressing), or you won't register more than 137GB of drive capacity. I think some drive munafacturers' software works around this, (Maxtor's old "Max Blast"), but I'm not sure. I'm sort of conservative about applying large capacity drives to older systems that have shipped with 120GB HDDs or less

As a matter of principle, I would much rather install the OS on the smallest drive, and use the large drives as "Volumes" for data storage.

Given the vintage of your machine, the fact that the new drive is SATA 2 might not have much of an impact on data transfer speed. This obviously supposes that the IDE drives are in good condition, and working at ATA-100 (5) transfer speed.

I wish I had more to tell you that directly relates to your situation, but maybe someone else has more experience with controllers cards. Well everybody probably does.

I assume the SATA PCI card has a built in BIOS and that you used F6 to install the SATA PCI Card's driver?

When the computer boots it should finish the usual memory tests and device detection, then proceed to the SATA PCI Card BIOS, (you'll see a different screen usually saying press CRTL+H to configure drives) then boot to windows.

When you enter the BIOS it should also follow this processes, the PCI Card should be seen in the BIOS as a SCSI Device. If this is the case change the boot order to boot off SCSI. If the SATA PCI Card's BIOS doesn't load when you try to enter the BIOS look for any Quick Boot options and disable them.

Some vendors won't load 3rd party EEPROMs if Quick Boot is enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back