Booting too many OS's....

Oct 4, 2002
  1. IF i manage to get Mandrake working, any advice on what boot manager to use?

I currently use BootMagic to select either a Windows grouping of BeOS, and if Windows is selected, chose XP/98.

I have not a clue how to get LILO to work....

and the Be BootMan didn't work last time...

so what will i do with FOUR OS's? BootMagic 2.0 seems to dislike LINUX
  2. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 664

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

Uninstall bootmagic. You should then find that Windows XP's boot manager is back from the dead.

boot into mandrake and issue this command

dd if=/dev/hdXX bs=512 count=1

sustituting hdXX for whatever partiton mandrake's / is on, i.e, hda2, hdb4, etc...

now copy the resultant file onto c:\ and append this line to boot.ini

c:\"Mandrake Linux"

A chappie just managed to install 37 operating systems on his machine, it was on the Techspotlight main page, so 4 is easy believe me....
  4. MYOB

MYOB TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 492

need to wait for Mic to tell me how to get the XP boot manager to do BeOS then... its simple with the two Windows one i have in it, but could be hard with two totally different OS's
  5. MYOB

i also considered that XOSL, but it had so many 'this could damage your PC' warnings i gave up...
  6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

The procedure should be the same as in Mandrake, but I haven't tested it myself.
    Just use /dev/disk/ide/ata/*insert the rest here* instead of /dev/hdXX and or something instead of Then just add it to boot.ini.
    If that fails for some reason, I attached my BeOS bootsector here. It's renamed .txt because of valid extensions.

Attached Files:

7. bojour

bojour TS Rookie

you can also create your with a windows software : is a FREEWARE, and is a good solution when you can't do it with linux, BeOS, or something else :)

Stephane Dekeyzer.
  8. MYOB

Hey, its a thread seriously from the past :)

I don't even have Windows on that system anymore. Thankfully. And I've figured out LILO.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.