Booting too many OS's....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYOB

IF i manage to get Mandrake working, any advice on what boot manager to use?

I currently use BootMagic to select either a Windows grouping of BeOS, and if Windows is selected, chose XP/98.

I have not a clue how to get LILO to work....

and the Be BootMan didn't work last time...

so what will i do with FOUR OS's? BootMagic 2.0 seems to dislike LINUX

Uninstall bootmagic. You should then find that Windows XP's boot manager is back from the dead.

boot into mandrake and issue this command

dd if=/dev/hdXX of=bootsect.man bs=512 count=1

sustituting hdXX for whatever partiton mandrake's / is on, i.e, hda2, hdb4, etc...

now copy the resultant bootsect.man file onto c:\ and append this line to boot.ini

c:\bootsect.man="Mandrake Linux"

A chappie just managed to install 37 operating systems on his machine, it was on the Techspotlight main page, so 4 is easy believe me....

need to wait for Mic to tell me how to get the XP boot manager to do BeOS then... its simple with the two Windows one i have in it, but could be hard with two totally different OS's

i also considered that XOSL, but it had so many 'this could damage your PC' warnings i gave up...

Originally posted by MYOB
need to wait for Mic to tell me how to get the XP boot manager to do BeOS then..
The procedure should be the same as in Mandrake, but I haven't tested it myself.
Just use /dev/disk/ide/ata/*insert the rest here* instead of /dev/hdXX and bootsect.be or something instead of bootsect.man. Then just add it to boot.ini.
If that fails for some reason, I attached my BeOS bootsector here. It's renamed .txt because of valid extensions.

Attachments

• bootsect.txt
    512 bytes · Views: 8
Hey, its a thread seriously from the past :)

I don't even have Windows on that system anymore. Thankfully. And I've figured out LILO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back