booting up a PC without and OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantum_dragon

This will be my first time in building a PC. I assume it is ok to boot it up without and OS installed? I know that I have to look at CMOS/BIOS. But exactly what I will do there I will find out when I get there:). Anyone who can provide a link to CMOS/BIOS for first time building would sure be great.

Also, since Intel's new motherboard has built in raid, does anyone know if I can set this all up without having need of and OS first? I will more than likely use raid 1. I figure if CMOS/BIOS detects everything, XP will be just as successful.

Btw, does anyone have a link to PC building from start to finish? I have already upgraded hardware and OSes numerous times, set up a newer power supply (but not and entire motherboard!), and read a book. A full out online guide to PC building would give me more knowledge to avoid doing something commonly stupid. Any link would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, when I place my peliminary components (such as RAM and CPU with fan) onto the motherboard, is it ok to do this outside the case setting the motherboard on the nonstatic cover it was shipped in? My construction area will be a good sized wooden table.

Thanks for the info!

The BIOS is indepedant of the OS, yes.

Probably the default settings are fine, however depending on your motherboard, you may have to set your clock speed settings in the BIOS.

Also, yes, its a good idea to seat CPU and RAM on the board before you mount it in the case.

Originally posted by quantum_dragon
Finally, when I place my peliminary components (such as RAM and CPU with fan) onto the motherboard, is it ok to do this outside the case setting the motherboard on the nonstatic cover it was shipped in? My construction area will be a good sized wooden table.
I've never had any problems with static and I haven't used any shielding or wrist straps etc. (I've built computers since early 90s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back