BOOTMGR is Compressed Windows 7

By abbasi
Apr 16, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hello guys,

I have a trouble I have never ever faced it!!
    The laptop I'm going to install Windows 7 X86 on it is MSI CX41. But the very strange problem is this that it's second time I install Win 7 on it. Each time this message is appearing:
    BOOTMGR is compressed.
    type ctrl+alt+del for restart
    I don't know what the problem is.
    I have done the works of here (
    ).
    But couldn't fix the problem.
    Please help.
  2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,327   +49

Try this http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/bootmgr-is-compressed
    I think it has to do with your previous installation was using disc compression, but a new installation cannot write the boot records to a compressed drive. You can use compression only if you have a working OS in the first place. The conclusion might be - your HDD is not big enough for your requirements any way, so why not start with a new HDD ?
  3. abbasi

abbasi TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 281   +11

Thanks for your reply.
    No it's large enough but I don't know what the problem is. Also that link didn't work for me.
    After I type in bootrec /fixboot, it say "The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."
  4. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,678   +152

You can always use a software to wipe the disk clean. Then reformat it. This will let you install win 7 then. Try googleing a program called Kill Disk. This may help you with your problem.
  5. abbasi

abbasi TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 281   +11

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,273   +280

DELETE the partition and recreate it, formatting as NTFS

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.