Bosch's high-tech brake discs aim to reduce dust by 90 percent

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Alternative fuel sources like hydrogen and electricity are heralded for their ability to cut emissions in automobiles, and rightfully so. What many seem to overlook, however, is the fact that fuel sources aren’t the only contributors of pollution related to vehicle use.

According to Bosch, a vehicle’s brakes and tires are responsible for a whopping 32 percent of all driving-related particulate emissions. Fine particles like brake dust often end up getting washed away during rain storms although some of the particles can be large enough that they contribute to air pollution.

It’s a problem that Bosch is looking to address with its latest innovation.

The Bosch iDisc (from subsidiary Buderus Guss) is a new type of brake disc designed to reduce brake dust by up to 90 percent. It consists of a standard cast iron brake disc with a special coating made of tungsten carbide. That may sound simple enough but according to Bosch, it took several years of research to reach this point.

Bosch says the iDisc offers braking power that comes close to ceramic brakes, especially as it relates to fading (a brake’s inability to work due to a buildup of heat), and will also last about twice as long as a standard disc.

Gerhard Pfeifer, CEO of Buderus Guss, said the iDisc is primed to replace the conventional cast iron brake disc and become the new industry standard.

As you might have guessed, price will be a barrier for some. Bosch says the iDiscs are about three times more expensive than a standard cast iron disc but about three times cheaper than a ceramic brake disc, a high-end solution used primarily on sports cars.

Production of the iDisc will begin sometime this month.

Permalink to story.

A pair of Front Brembo Disks was about £40 for my MX-5, if these genuinely work better (near ceramic ability's) and cost £120 (3x more) I would be tempted. I'll wait and hear from people using these first though.

A pair of Front Brembo Disks was about £40 for my MX-5, if these genuinely work better (near ceramic ability's) and cost £120 (3x more) I would be tempted. I'll wait and hear from people using these first though.

If it's tuned and you track it a bunch, sure. But there is only so much braking performance you actually need on a car like that. If the brakes are already good from high speeds then you really upgrade brakes to resist fade better.

I'm put off by the phrase, "braking power that comes close to ceramic brakes."
Brakes, after tires, are the most important safety feature on a car. Close isn't OK.
But, being that most people put the $30 economy tires on their car, I'm sure most wouldn't care about an increase in braking distances.

I'm put off by the phrase, "braking power that comes close to ceramic brakes."
Brakes, after tires, are the most important safety feature on a car. Close isn't OK.
What? Close is f*cking awesome! Ceramic brakes cost Thousands (on an Audi R8 in the UK for example, it's a £7000 option).
If they can get close to Ceramic performance for a fraction of the price, that's pretty damn good!

Just did a quick google, a set of Ceramic Brakes on a top end Porshe can go for over £20,000...

Good brakes are extremely important. People forget the relationship between speed and braking distance. From the Physics Classroom:
"A doubling of the speed results in a quadrupling of the stopping distance. A tripling of the speed would increase the stopping distance by a factor of nine. And a quadrupling of the speed would increase the stopping distance by a factor of 16. The stopping distance is proportional to the square of the speed of the vehicle."

Unlike in drum brakes disc brake pads are in constant contact with the disks. This generates a lot of heat. Try touching even the wheel rim after a few miles of driving. Even wheel bearing grease required is of special HIGH temperature variety.

If Bosch has found a method to keep the disks substantially cooler than in conventional disk brakes than it would definitely be worth it.

Back