Bose quietly launches a wearable speaker for your neck

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Premium audio equipment maker Bose recently launched an updated version of its QuietComfort 35 noise cancelling headphones. The company also used the occasion to announce the new SoundSport Free wireless earbuds.

These, however, weren’t the only new items on the docket.

Bose has a third new product that it conveniently forgot to mention in its press release. It’s called the SoundWear Companion Speaker and it’ll set you back $299.95.

Much like Atari’s ill-advised Speakerhat, the SoundWear Companion Speaker is essentially a personal loudspeaker that’ll surely annoy innocent bystanders.

Aesthetically speaking, the wearable looks like an oversized version of one of those LG neckband Bluetooth headsets or perhaps a flattened airplane neck pillow. It features two 11-inch “waveguides,” offers haptic feedback, connects to your phone via Bluetooth, comes in multiple colors and is designed to rest comfortably on your shoulders.

Rather than isolate music like traditional headphones, the neck speaker directs music in the general direction of your ears. This, according to Bose, allows you to be present with your music as well as your surroundings.

I get it. Bose wants people to use this speaker in the privacy of their own home, while gardening or perhaps during a dog walk. The problem is, it won’t stop there. People are going to wear the speaker on the bus, at the store and in other public settings where it’ll be a nuisance to everyone around.

The Bose SoundWear Companion Speaker is available for purchase as of writing.

Permalink to story.

If somebody is inconsiderate enough to stand near me in a public place and offends me with some obnoxious cacophony they loosely term as music, I wouldn't hesitate to strangle them with that novelty draped around their neck. Bose should've had the common sense to include earbuds as an alternative audio source.
That said, being a cyclist, I can see it as a viable alternative to using traditional Bluetooth earphones while cycling in traffic, and that is something no cyclist should ever do.

Last edited:
Of course if they can get the bass drive good enough, just imagine the neck massage this could give you !

Remember the product called "bone phones"? That was the one that actually transmitted the sounds through your skeleton to your inner ear. If memory serves me correctly, nobody else could hear them, which was the beauty so you could discretely wear them anywhere and not bother those around them. The ear bud option is just good common sense since there are still a few cities out there that will cite you for "noise pollution" of irritating those around you.

Personally I like the strangulation option, but only if there is an optional button that automatically plays the "funeral march" so others do not accidentally intercede

If somebody is inconsiderate enough to stand near me in a public place and offends me with some obnoxious cacophony they loosely term as music, I wouldn't hesitate to strangle them with that novelty draped around their neck. Bose should've had the common sense to include earbuds as an alternative audio source.
That said, being a cyclist, I can see it as a viable alternative to using traditional Bluetooth earphones while cycling in traffic, and that is something no cyclist should ever do.

You wouldn't strangle anyone. All you'd do is post a stupid comment on Facebook or Twitter after you leave Walgreens. Talking about being inconsiderate and obnoxious, cyclists are near the top of that list. Maybe you're not a bad one, but the cyclists that back up traffic and act like the world owes them 6 feet of space because they want to pretend they're One Ball Lance Armstrong for the afternoon tend to be the most inconsiderate and obnoxious people out there. I cycle too, I get it, but one person's annoyance is another person's passion. You like to ride and you think everyone around you needs to be considerate to you. The guy with the neck speakers just likes music. Who is more annoying?

I'll tell you who's annoying. Old people. They're the most annoying people on the planet. I wish I could strangle a few of the in the way, useless old folks that are no longer contributing to society, rather are just in the goddam way. To each his own man.

I'll tell you who's annoying. Old people. They're the most annoying people on the planet. I wish I could strangle a few of the in the way, useless old folks that are no longer contributing to society, rather are just in the goddam way. To each his own man.

You'd best hope you die before you get old, because karma is going to be a real ***** for not respecting your elderly. Look around, realize without the people you call old the foundation of your life would not be the same, heck you might not even exist (not like that would be a bad thing after your completely disrespected an entire generation of people)

All you'd do is post a stupid comment on Facebook or Twitter after you leave Walgreens.

I think you'd best go back to that Walgreens before you post anything else completely moronic.

You wouldn't strangle anyone. All you'd do is post a stupid comment on Facebook or Twitter after you leave Walgreens. Talking about being inconsiderate and obnoxious, cyclists are near the top of that list. Maybe you're not a bad one, but the cyclists that back up traffic and act like the world owes them 6 feet of space because they want to pretend they're One Ball Lance Armstrong for the afternoon tend to be the most inconsiderate and obnoxious people out there. I cycle too, I get it, but one person's annoyance is another person's passion. You like to ride and you think everyone around you needs to be considerate to you. The guy with the neck speakers just likes music. Who is more annoying?

The young people think that the old people are fools; but the old people know that the young people are fools!

The young people think that the old people are fools; but the old people know that the young people are fools!

Everyone is a fool, they just have not been told or are too stubborn to believe it.

Neck-hoe add-on for your glass-hole.

I used to think that only Japanese created weird $hit. Seems like it is no longer the case.

...[ ]....I'll tell you who's annoying. Old people. They're the most annoying people on the planet. I wish I could strangle a few of the in the way, useless old folks that are no longer contributing to society, rather are just in the goddam way. To each his own man.
Yeah well, Pete Townshend, said in the song, "My Generation", "I hope I die before I get old". Well, he's 70 now, still rockin', and probably accomplished more in his first 20, years than you will if you live to be 150. (I don't think anyone around from then, has let him forget it either).

Butt wait, there's more. You, (much to the chagrin of anyone who reads your post), will likely live to "be old" . When you get there, remember what "old cranky" said. You'll be screaming, crying, and begging, for meds and medical attention, to prolong for one more day of what the worthless drooling, a** wiped days, you've come to accept as, "your useful life", has become.

I'm not really a god fearing man, plus being an amateur sociopath. So, hopefully someone with my "values" will be there at the end, to shove a needle in your arm, and save the taxpayers a bunch of money.(y)

Back