Bose Sleepbuds promise to silence barking dogs and snoring partners

Shawn Knight

Staff member

I am often stunned by how people choose to allocate their resources, especially as it relates to comfort and taking care of themselves. Take sleeping, for example.

Sleep is a vital part of the human experience. The average person spends a third of their life in bed yet most people neglect this opportunity to recharge. Even something as simple as a decent mattress or pillow can make a huge difference in how you feel the next day.

Distractions, however, can be a bit more difficult to deal with. A snoring mate, a barking dog or nearby traffic can easily keep you awake at night and leave you feeling groggy the next day. Worse yet, these distractions aren’t always within your control (there’s not much you can do about the neighbor’s dog or traffic, for example, short of move).

It’s a problem that Bose is addressing with its latest product.

The Bose Sleepbuds are in-ear buds designed to neutralize noises that’d otherwise keep you awake at night, replacing them with soothing sounds that are tuned for masking noises. In the product video above, Bose says that a low grumble of a snore, for example, can be masked by playing another sound that is close to it in frequency – like a thunderstorm. The thunderstorm sound will cover the snoring sound, the rep says.

Bose claims its wearable, the smallest product they’ve ever made, is incredibly comfortable. It comes with multiple sizes of tips to dial in the fit and connects wirelessly to your phone so you can adjust settings in the app, set alarms and so on. The technology comes from a company called Hush which Bose acquired not too long ago.

Bose has turned to Indiegogo to fund the Sleepbuds. With 24 days to go, they’ve already raised over $440,000 (the original goal was just $50,000) so demand is clearly there. In fact, if you want in at this point, well, too bad, as all of the pre-order tiers are sold out. With any luck, Bose will add more inventory to meet the high demand but as of writing, that hasn’t happened yet. Early bird tiers started at $150 and topped out at $185, FYI.

It’s an interesting product for sure but I’m quite skeptical. Masking sounds with other sounds doesn’t seem all that sophisticated to me (standalone sound machines already do that) and I’ve never been a fan of in-ear wearables, especially those that are meant to be worn overnight (even the softest earplugs make my ears hurt the next morning). Sure, an individualized solution that doesn’t disrupt others in the room would be nice but there’s also the issue of having to remember to charge them every day.

Permalink to story.

Just get a pack of 200 pairs of 3M 1100's for $20/20 EUR and you're golden. I never sleep without them. They're so comfortable a couple of times I left the house with them on.

These could be really cool, would be interested to see how they go on flights

I am expecting battery lasts < 8 hours on anything over min volume

Everybody tries to market the biggest load of crap. Why the hell does a company like Bose who has a bit of financial clout need to turn to indiegogo for funding? Because they're afraid of wasting their own money on something so ridiculous as this, that's why.

Why would Bose turn to IndieGoGo? Seriously.

Oh and I can see these working better than a sound machine (White Noise Generator) or Ear Plugs. A Sound Machine can bother others in the room and Ear plugs can be uncomfortable, prevent you from hearing noises you should and actually cause you to focus on the ringing in your own ears. Just my experience.

If someone could make something that keeps you from hear ******* neighbors above you, that would great. I've had to deal with that for more than half my life.

Everybody tries to market the biggest load of crap. Why the hell does a company like Bose who has a bit of financial clout need to turn to indiegogo for funding? Because they're afraid of wasting their own money on something so ridiculous as this, that's why.

From what I have read it is a super limited of number at cost for the devices to be manufactured for feed back before final release....... trying to avoid the same mistakes Hush Earbuds made with real world testing.

Have to say that being sold out as fast as they did there is absolutely a market, for flying I am looking forward to trying something like this out, I have the Hush for this but the battery lasted 2 hours and they really were an average product. Don't get me wrong, I liked them but they didn't deliver on what they promised.

Like @Experimentongod I use cheap, soft earplugs both on the motorcycle, or when I sleep 'publicly' like hostels etc. So inexpensive, work so well.

From what I have read it is a super limited of number at cost for the devices to be manufactured for feed back before final release....... trying to avoid the same mistakes Hush Earbuds made with real world testing.

Have to say that being sold out as fast as they did there is absolutely a market, for flying I am looking forward to trying something like this out, I have the Hush for this but the battery lasted 2 hours and they really were an average product. Don't get me wrong, I liked them but they didn't deliver on what they promised.
You make a good point there. If they ever come into existence, assuming they reach their targeted amount of funding, I don't think that these kind of things that would fly off shelves, you never know, but I suppose there will be those that endorse them. What's one persons feast is another's famine.

"(even the softest earplugs make my ears hurt the next morning)"

Same here. Perhaps a membrane over the ear that straps to the head? Kind of like a dust mask.

Back