TechSpot

Bought Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare on Windows Store? You can't play with Steam friends

By Scorpus
Nov 3, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. This is a public service announcement for those looking to purchase Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare on PC: don't purchase the Windows Store version, as you won't be able to play with those who bought the game on Steam.

Activision confirmed through its support website that Infinite Warfare is not cross-compatible with the two versions available for PC gamers. The same goes for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, which is also available through both the Windows Store and Steam.

Previous Call of Duty games have been available through Steam first and foremost, so it's a given that the vast majority of gamers will be playing the Steam version of Infinite Warfare. If you purchase the Windows Store version, you will be stuck in multiplayer modes with only a small subsection of players on PC.

Even worse, if you purchase Infinite Warfare on the wrong platform, you won't be able to play with your friends who chose the other platform. Make sure you coordinate between your mates as to which PC version you'll be playing, and if in doubt, choose the more popular game platform (Steam).

The lack of cross-compatibility between the Steam and Windows Store versions is strange given that both are PC platforms. It makes you wonder why Activision even bothered releasing a Windows Store version. In any case, Infinite Warfare will be released on all platforms, including current-gen consoles, on November 4th.

Permalink to story.

2. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 7,058   +645

(Facepalm)... this is exactly what you don't do with a PC game.

gingerbill, Phr3d, DaveBG and 17 others like this.
  3. andrewyoung

andrewyoung TS Enthusiast Posts: 44   +13

How stupid........

4. alabama man

alabama man TS Maniac Posts: 215   +126

So if someone buys the windows app store version he or she will be the top ranked player on that platform.

5. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,897   +940

This is Activision we're talking about....

6. skyczy

skyczy TS Rookie

MIND BOGGLING

7. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,543   +2,339

Rebuttal...solid.

mbrowne5061 and yRaz like this.
  8. Nero7

Nero7 TS Booster Posts: 166   +48

Hey Techspot make a news about Forza Horizon 3 DOWNGRADE patch which still didn't fix the performance problems but now we have major pop ins and notably worse graphical fidelity. A quick search for the word DOWNGRADE on their forum will do wonders.

Also some tech junkies have revealed that its not a real DX12 game and that something is seriously wrong with how it uses RAM since its an xbox game.

Oh and yeah this windows store nonsense concerning Microsoft Store... well the MS Store people have just destroyed what little reputation they had with this. Certainly not the brightest people its almost as if they sabotage themself just like Windows 10 Phone.

9. sac39507

sac39507 TS Enthusiast Posts: 36   +6

It all makes sense

10. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,101   +345

I haven't played a COD games in years but this kind of mind numbing stupidity from Activision isn't surprising at all.

ForgottenLegion likes this.
  11. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 707   +168

This is incredibly stupid.

andrewyoung and ForgottenLegion like this.
  12. Humza

Humza TS Member

The windows store version should be renamed to: Call of Duty: Pretty much finite warfare

andrewyoung, Phr3d, DaveBG and 4 others like this.
  13. cartera

cartera TS Addict Posts: 296   +78

If you were to buy the Windows Store version could you play with Xbox players though. That might make the choice slightly harder...

14. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,173   +577

Are you sure about that? Console PC crossplay has never worked, especially on FPS because a controller sucks at aiming. I don't really see how Microsoft could do that.

15. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

Jeez! Is the COD series still going? I thought it died out years ago.

16. cartera

cartera TS Addict Posts: 296   +78

I'm not at sure at all, it was a question. (Sorry I missed out a ?)

I thought the Windows Store was supposed to be cross platform that's all.

17. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 828   +54

Stupidest thing I have read in a while. Makes zero sense and will make people think twice buying anything off the windows store.

ForgottenLegion likes this.
  18. Alex Voinica

Alex Voinica TS Member Posts: 25   +13

And they say this just in the launch day...isn't it sweet ?
    I remember when I bought GTA V from store ( it was cheaper than on Steam ) , went home and tried to activate it on Steam....it didn't worked.

19. BSim500

BSim500 TS Guru Posts: 198   +272

No I haven't. And never will...

20. ForgottenLegion

ForgottenLegion TS Enthusiast Posts: 57   +27

Luckily you can get a refund if you contact Microsoft support.

This is an absolute joke and the devs give no reason for the limitation.

COD deserves to just die already. The last decent release was MW3. Why do people still buy it?

21. Wendy Oltman

Wendy Oltman TS Booster Posts: 128   +16

Can't it get any more stupid than this? :(

22. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 828   +54

At least refunds are available if that's correct.

23. Sean T

Sean T TS Rookie

What happens if you buy the retail boxed version? Does it just have a CD-Key for the Steam version or what?

24. DJMIKE25

DJMIKE25 TS Addict Posts: 154   +50

Who in the hell thought this was a good idea............................. :-/

25. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 7,058   +645

From Eurogamer:

Phr3d and Evernessince like this.