TechSpot

Boxes (not balloons), please!

By purple clear
Feb 1, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi there.

When tracking changes, how can I get my MS Word document to show the comments/changes in a box and not in the standard balloons. I know how to use most of the tracking functions, but cannot find this. A coworker showed me a document she received with these comment boxes (with a line to the changed spot in the document), and we both agreed it is much more readable than the balloons.

I looked all over Word and did several searches on the internet, but cannot find out how to make this happen. Perhaps the sender of the document - which we produced originally - didn't use Word??

Your help would be very much appreciated!

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Which version of Word or Office are you using?

3. purple clear

purple clear TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry...2007

4. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Evangelist Posts: 787   +58

Are you talking about comments in either the right or left margins w/ dotted line pointing to the changes in the document?

5. purple clear

purple clear TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi. No. That I know how to do. This is similar - in the right-hand and bottom margins, but with a SOLID line pointing to the changes in the document, and the box has SQUARE corners (a true box, not rounded corners), and the box has a solid outline.

I don't have the document in front of me right now, but as I recall, part of the reason it was easier to understand is that is grouped all changes together in one box, e.g., didn't have one balloon for a delete-comma, another balloon for spelling correction, etc. I hope that makes sense.

Ask me again, if not clear, or whatever else.

Thanks!

6. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Evangelist Posts: 787   +58

Tried looking it up in Google but haven't had any luck. Played around w/ a doc I have, tried merging various revisions, but the comments weren't merged. It still showed separate comments from different people.

What you're describing almost sound like text boxes. But I guess they aren't? If you change the selection from say "Final: Show Markup" to "Final", do the comment boxes & lines go away?