Broadband

kol_indian

In america is there any particular law that defines broadband.

i.e. the minimum spped that has to provided by a service provider must provide for it to be considered broadband.

just wondering abt it.

here the cap is 256 Kbps and that is around $10 (roughly Rs.500) in india.

I believe broadband here is simply defined as being an analog signal and not really on throughput. Some places I've read do actually say at least 256kbps though.

I've heard a minimum of 128 Kbps but that was a couple years ago....when somebody actually needed to define the term. I believe it was a low-end ISP just for advertising purposes.

But isnt broadband truly broadband when u will be able to sream video properly.

i mean the ability to run movies without having much trouble.

and what kinda prices u have to pay for 256Kbps with say unlimited usage.

here there is a cap a at 1 GB.

I have sbc-yahoo dsl 3meg connection for like $40 a month. The fastest i have "seen" a download was at 600kbs. That is plenty fast for me. usually around 300kbs though. just my 2 cents.

Bipolar_gargoyl

Bipolar_Gargoyl said:
I have sbc-yahoo dsl 3meg connection for like $40 a month. The fastest i have "seen" a download was at 600kbs. That is plenty fast for me. usually around 300kbs though. just my 2 cents.

Bipolar_gargoyl

That sounds reallly good but do u have any download limit like monthly usage limit.

Most places in the US offer 3,4, or even 5+ Mb/sec downstream with no usage caps for around $35-$60 US. I have all my machines on all the time.

There were many arguments in the UK as to what constituted broadband. The only concensus being always on.

I have 256k with the option of increasing up to 1M in hourly bites for a small charge. The basic 256k unlimited costs me £17.99 ($10) per month.

Errr... since when did 18 quid = $10 US? Don't think the dollar has gotten that strong recently.

I have 4.4Mbit/384kbit for $53/mo - no caps. I also get my actual throughput and it's very steady. If there were another cable provider here I could go with I would still change though because I strongly dislike my current provider's billing practices.

i dont know but $33 dollars or $53 dollars is not that much.

here i get 384 Kbps with 2 Gb cap at around Rs.1000 ( approx $23 -25)/month.

but it is also caped at 2 GB so it is costlier compared to what u guys pay since i have shell out additional Rs.2 for every MB used in excess of the Cap mentioned above.

so still my question is not answered , i mean doesnt broadban - broadband when u can stream videos at a decent resolution without any breaking inbetween. is there any such definition.

kol_indian said:
so still my question is not answered , i mean doesnt broadban - broadband when u can stream videos at a decent resolution without any breaking inbetween. is there any such definition.
No, there isn't a defination to my knowledge that is based on video streaming. That idea may have came up from places that offer 2 video streams one is usually labled so that it says dialup and 56k for 1 and the other is broadband and 300k or so. But thats not really a defining thing.

Plus you can have streaming video at almost any speed, the quality just degrades as you go slower in speed. But you can stream on dialup.

Ok perse there is no clear definition for broadband, the reason i was asking is that the indian goverment has just passed a law about saying anything below 256 Kbps is not broadband and a minimum of 256 Kbps has to be provided for a company to market its connection as a broadband connection.

This very tricky as such most companies including mine sells all cable based internet connections (belive me it stats at 32kbps) as broadband connection.

Well it seems clear to me that from now they can't call anything less 256k broadband in India. Problem solved. :)

Actually, "broadband" has nothing to do with speed, but the way the data is transmitted. Broadband connections use a method of transmitting a signal using frequency division multiplexing, this uses carrier signals to send the modulated signal using multiple frequencies. This is in contrast to baseband which uses time division modulation and consists of only the base signal being modulated and transmitted.

The term "broadband" has been associated with "high speed" connections by ISPs and users for several years now because it is the technology behind those connections, although it does not directly relate to the speed, only to the transfer method.

My ISP (local cable company) offers "broadband" connections ranging from 128/128 - 1024/512, but only the 1024/512 is called "high speed" by them.

The man in the street can't see and isn't interested in the technology behind what he achieves. Only the end result is perceptable him and the most noticeable feature to him is the speed. Not to mention that numbers are easy to hype. As so often is the case it depends whether you're buying or selling.

The man in the street is out of luck then when it comes to knowing which of two CPU's he want's to buy in the near future then! :rolleyes:

Not heard of Frequency division multiplexing before, but I'm assuming it's the same as what I was taught a long time ago in electronics class as being called time division multiplexing?

Spike said:
The man in the street is out of luck then when it comes to knowing which of two CPU's he want's to buy in the near future then! :rolleyes:

No problem. He'll just pick the big number. :p

Spike said:
Not heard of Frequency division multiplexing before, but I'm assuming it's the same as what I was taught a long time ago in electronics class as being called time division multiplexing?

Where did FDm and TDM come here spike. :-D

From storm bringers post, where he explains how high capacity digital signals are transmitted.

Though on second glance, tdm and fdm are almost certainly the same thing I would think..

Spike said:
From storm bringers post, where he explains how high capacity digital signals are transmitted.

Though on second glance, tdm and fdm are almost certainly the same thing I would think..

Actual definitions of the two, since my explanation was apparently not clear enough. I can see how I might be confused though since my explanation comes from actually working with these different technologies over the years.

Frequency-division multiplexing (FDM) is a scheme in which numerous signals are combined for transmission on a single communications line or channel. Each signal is assigned a different frequency (subchannel) within the main channel.

Time-division multiplexing (TDM) is a method of putting multiple data streams in a single signal by separating the signal into many segments, each having a very short duration. Each individual data stream is reassembled at the receiving end based on the timing.

Also, doesn't really matter what the man on the street thinks, misinformation is still false, end users think a lot of things, and lots of these things are accepted as truth, sadly most are still very false. The industry does nothing to correct this misinformation and if anything, makes it worse. No harm done, right? Wrong, in the long run, both the end user and those who have to support and manage the end user's equipment end up paying for these false truths.

I for one get very sick of seeing marketing strategies which tout speed, range, and other specs which have little or nothing to do with what they actually do. A very good example here, while somewhat off topic is Centrino. Intel markets it as gods gift to wi-fi, though it has very little to do with wireless networking and everything to do with battery life.

So, could you tell me StormBringer, at least in terms of the jist of it, would I be correct in saying that the two are almost identical technologies, where FDM is an application splitting the frequency for the purpose of carryinglarger amounts of data (in parralell if you like) accross the same datastream, IE, Broadband for example.

TDM by contarst, is roughtly the same, but instead of the above, a frequency is divided not only to carry large amounts of data, but also to carry multiple datastreams (such as a Sky sattelite transmition, here in the UK).?

... Or do I need to do some research to understand it a little better?

Back