TechSpot

Broadcasting my Ethernet Internet connection as wireless

By OneZ
Oct 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Greetings,
    Here is my problem:
    - I have a PC that is connected to an ADSL router ( wired connection ).
    - I have a device attached to my PC that can broadcast my Ethernet connection as wireless signal so that a man with a laptop can access the internet by connecting through the PC. ( he just searches for a wireless signal and connect to it ).
    - I'm using TOR on my PC for anonymously.
    - How can I let laptops and cell phones connect to the internet through my PC but in the same time using TOR ? I don't want people to have to set any setting on their laptops or cell phones to be able to use TOR ( or any other proxy/VPN software ). I just want people to connect through a wireless access point.

Thanks.....

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,426   +317

Enable encryption of the wifi box.

All wifi connections will then need the password to make a connection

3. OneZ

OneZ TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 100

Thanks for reply but that's not what I meant.
    What I need is the following: someone enters my shop with a laptop or cell phone, he search for a wireless access point, he finds one, he connects to it using a password I give to him, and now he is connected to the internet. I want his connection to go through the TOR/ExpatShield/UltraSurf/Any other proxy software which I'm running on my PC.

4. jobeard

Then you need TWO SSID's and separate passwords & give out the one you wish.

your setup must then look like:
    Code:
    isp==modem---Wifi/Wired----pc---Wifi---guests

5. OneZ

OneZ TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 100

Thanks for reply.

your solution is good but the question is how to let guest's connection go through the TOR or Ultrasurf on my PC ? In your solution ( actually the one I use right now ) guest is connecting to internet through my interface ( my local area network since I'm wired connected to router ) which I can broadcast ( I can't broadcast TOR or Ultasurf ).

6. jobeard

Well, the Ultasurf is apparently a software proxy, so of course it can't 'broadcast'
    (which I can only assume means to "resend a connection signal"?)

And the TOR I assume would be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)
    which is an anonymous network - - again software not hardware

NEITHER of these have the router NAT feature necessary to allow multiple connections.

There is no solution for what you want to do UNLESS you find a software router program to
    put on your PC. And then, TOR AND Ultrasurf would not be available to devices that connect to the
    software router.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.