Brother's Upgrade Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

werty316

Hi my brother is looking into upgrading next year from his Thunderbird 1.4GHz to an A64 system. So far he has a friend who is gonna sell to him a X800 for $100CAD which is a good deal and I told him to buy it. As for CPU, mobo, and ram I was thinking of a 3500+, generic 2x512MB PC3200, and a VIA K8T890 based board. I am sure he won't be overclocking but what does eveyone think? He asked me how long that X800 will last him and I said around 2 years but it depends on how the games in the future are.

I think you're doing good on the processor and RAM. If I were you, however, I'd go with an nVidia graphics card, such as the PCI-Express 6600GT or 6800GT, which can be doubled up later on with SLI mode. I don't stray too far from MSI, ASUS, GIGABYTE, or DFI. Yours may be a good board, but I haven't had very good experiences with other, well, not-name-brand motherboards. That's a very good system though, with the X800. The only thing i'd look into is the motherboard, unless you KNOW it's good and read lots of reviews about it. I've had problems with my motherboard going bad, frying my processor. The 3500+ is a very good choice. You should definitely get CORSAIR RAM. Like I said, if you want an awesome graphics card, go for the 6800GT. Later on, you can double them up. However, if you get the system you're getting, it'll be a gigantic step from the 'ol Thunderbird 1.4 Ghz, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back