Browser re-directing. 8 steps completed, logs attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil996bp

Hi, I hope you can help with this problem.

I use Firefox as my browser but the same is happening with IE8. A browser search returns results as normal but when I click on a result I'm usually re-directed to some shopping site. If I return to the results screen and click again it then goes to the correct site.

I've been having this problem for about 2 weeks now and I've tried Ad-Aware, AVG Free, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D and Kaspersky Online several times and found nothing. However, one of the scans using Malwarebytes on 21st January reported this:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\000020ef.tmp (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.".

Could this be the cause of the problem?

The SuperAntiSpyware seems to have found 7 cookies on the other user account on this PC (listed in the log) but that is all.

I've worked through the 8 steps listed elsewhere in the forum and have attached the results logs.

Please excuse any delays as I'm only able to reply during the daytime.

Attachments

• mbam-log-2010-01-27 (12-53-10).txt
    867 bytes · Views: 1
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 01-27-2010 - 13-14-13.log
    941 bytes · Views: 0
  • hijackthis.log
    5.4 KB · Views: 1
Hi,

Ran ComboFix and log attached.
Since my first post I'd downloaded and installed Avira Antivir in addition to AVG Free (just to try it out). I disabled them both as instructed by ComboFix. Combofix then rebooted the PC early on to fix a rootkit problem and I think Avira reactivated itself as it then popped up with a couple of infections:

Virus or unwanted program 'TR/Dropper.Gen [trojan]'
detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Phil\Desktop\DivorceandConsent_Managed.exe.
Action performed: Deny access

and

Virus or unwanted program 'HEUR/HTML.Malware [heuristic]'
detected in file 'C:\ComboFix\ClsidFiles.
Action performed: Move file to quarantine

I don't know if I've messed up here but there was no way I could disable it again as there were no icons showing.

Attachments

• log.txt
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi again,

To follow up my last post, I've just tried Firefox and so far there have been no re-directs or preventative warnings from Firefox of re-directs and it's also speeded up considerably.

Back again,

Ran Avira a couple of times and the first time it caught this:

The file 'C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46D595F7-832F-47AC-B8F1-EF09EA4D564C}\RP1\A0000124.exe'
contained a virus or unwanted program 'TR/Dropper.Gen' [trojan]
Action(s) taken:
The file was moved to '4ae479d3.qua'!

and this:

The file 'C:\System Volume Information\_restore{46D595F7-832F-47AC-B8F1-EF09EA4D564C}\RP1\A0000060.sys'
contained a virus or unwanted program 'TR/Patched.Gen' [trojan]
Action(s) taken:
The file was moved to '4b916b2a.qua'!

The second scan found nothing.

OK.

Downloaded and ran Temp-File-Cleaner.

There was no System Restore tab showing in the System Properties box for some reason so I rebooted the computer and it reappeared. Turned it off, turned it back on again and created a new restore point.

so how is this 8 step program working for you Phil, any progress or still pulling your hair out.

I have to be careful doing that these days as it's getting a bit thin!

It seems to have worked brilliantly so far. Tmagic650's instructions with Combofix seemed to do the trick, no more re-directions and the speed was back. The next program cleaned out about 1.5GB of temp files. Don't know if there's any more to do yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back