Browsers won't load images or formatting of a few websites

Apel69

Within the last couple of weeks a frequented website has stopped loading properly. All other websites load properly with the exception of some forum websites I came across while looking for an answer to this problem. The website loads very slowly but is missing all formatting and images (except ad banners). It is one solid white page with lots of black and blue hyperlinked text. It looks like you were seeing the page in text view. It does load properly on my phone. The forum websites that don't load have the same appearance. I am running Windows XP SP3 and Firefox v16.

Here is what I have tried so far. Not sure whats left.

- Tried loading on my phone (success)
- Tried url in Chrome and IE (no luck)
- Updated Firefox to the latest version
- Cleared the history, cookies and cache
- Restarted Firefox in Safe Mode with extensions turned off
- Updated all plugins
- Ran Spybot with no issues
- Ran AVG with no issues
- Checked to make sure there is no ad or image blocking turned on (there is none)
- Checked to make sure there are no exceptions listed
- Performed a Shift + R to reload the page
- Removed any programs installed recently
- Checked Internet Options in Windows to make sure nothing looks out of place
- Hosts file is clean
- Reset Firefox to default settings and preferences

By any chance does your problem look something like this?
Code:
<html lang="en-US" dir="LTR" class="Public LoggedIn NoSidebar" xmlns:fb="http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml">
<head>

<meta charset="utf-8" />

<title>Browsers won't load images or formatting of a few websites - TechSpot Forums</title>

<base href="https://www.techspot.com/community/" />
        <script>
            var _b = document.getElementsByTagName('base')[0], _bH = "https://www.techspot.com/community/";
            if (_b && _b.href != _bH) _b.href = _bH;
        </script>

<script type="text/javascript">var default_section = 'forums';</script>
        <script type="text/javascript">var _sf_startpt=(new Date()).getTime()</script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.2/jquery.min.js"></script>
    <script>
        var jQuery_1_7 = $.noConflict(false);
        var _xf_token = '35842,1352820691,d3433209165f65346c128005a7e809545527dac1';
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="https://static.techspot.com/images2/lib/techspot.js?v=11.05.2012.00"></script>

<noscript><style>.JsOnly { display: none !important; }</style></noscript>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="css.php?css=xenforo,form,public&amp;style=2&amp;dir=LTR&amp;d=1352512038" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="css.php?css=attachment_editor,bb_code,bbcm_js,editor_ui,message,message_user_info,quick_reply,quick_reply_preview,thread_view&amp;style=2&amp;dir=LTR&amp;d=1352512038" />

I don't plan on getting rid of AVG. It has worked flawlessly for me and on other systems I manage.

I included a snapshot of the site below. You can see all formatting regarding header and sidebar links are gone, background images as well as all other images are also gone. The other thing that stands out is how incredibly slow it loads for so little being displayed. I have also tried Chrome and IE with the same result. This was working several weeks ago and I don't recall any changes or programs installed that would have changed anything. It is just odd that this the only site affected outside a couple of forum sites. This site displays perfectly fine.

Website.jpg

I was putzing around some more and noticed that the Page Info data was missing the Content-Type info in the Meta section when compared to several other sites. The UTF-8 was listed above but not in the Meta section while the working pages had it in both. My browser encoding is set to UTF-8. When looking at the page source this info is listed near the top. Don't know if this adds anything but I'm running out of straws to grasp at. Included several snapshots.

Site 1.jpg

Site 2.jpg

Page Source.jpg

Had another idea this early a.m. which ended up identifying the culprit. I set my phone up as a WiFi hotspot and the site loaded correctly. This means there is an issue with my WiFi modem. I'll reset the thing after some sleep and see if that works.

Well, irregardless it's kept my computer and others perfectly safe. I'm not saying it's the best but it's worked well for me and protected my computer several times.

I reset my modem this morning and the site started working. I wish I would have thought of that earlier instead of spending so many hours on this. It is odd that the modem would affect the functioning of one website. Anyway it's working. Yahhhhhh!!

It is odd that the modem would affect the functioning of one website. Anyway it's working. Yahhhhhh!!
Agree ! Your display looks just like a webpage with a SAVE AS to local disk - - AND the CSS formatting or javascript files are not saved with it. How the heck the modem/router fowled out is bizarre to me too.

Looks like I spoke too soon. The initial home page as well as the initial ad page display correctly. When you go to subsequent pages they don't. The entire page looks normal with the exception of the ads not being dsiplayed. What makes it odder is that if you pause with your mouse over an area a bubble will appear giving you more information about the selected item even though it is not visible. So in short the image has been loaded but isn't visible.

Quit all email programs and browsers

launch a cmd prompt runas /user:administrator cmd

cd \windows\system32\drivers\etc
enter attrib -r hosts
enter notepad hosts
KEEP ONLY the line that reads 127.0.0.1 localhost
save​
enter attrib +r hosts
enter ipconfig /flushdns
enter net stop "dns client"
enter net stop "dns client"
try your browser(s) again