BSOD 0x7e - Windows XP Pro SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramboaz

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me. A friend of mine has been receiving 0x7e on a relatively fresh install of Windows XP. The computer crashes with 0x7e when we plug in (turn on) his Canon MP760 multifunction printer.

Originally I thought it was printer drivers, but after uninstalling/reinstalling, I am faced with the same issue. The hardware configuration is exactly the same as before the fresh install of Windows (that was performed for other reasons).

WinDbg seems to say "usbport.sys" but how do I repair that? The on-board USB ports (Compaq system) got damaged, so I installed a PCI/USB card which has a VIA chipset, I believe.

Am I missing something? (Please see attached dumps.)

Thanks!

One error is 0x000000FE: BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
Usually indicates a USB driver problem. Makes ure, though, that you have the latest Windows service pack installed (which you do). It could be that the USB card drivers and Windows are not "getting along." It does cite the Windows driver usbuhci.sys as the cause but ussually they are too general to be of much help.

Another error is 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware and are especially a strong indicator of corrupted memory. There are times, though, that this error can be caused by drivers. Like above it only cited a Windows driver.

Your remaining two errors are your main concern. Both are 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

Both cite the same cause as memory corruption. Couple this info with the fact that you also have an 0x8E error and it behooves you to run Memtest.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Thanks Route44 for the leads.

I will perform the suggestions hopefully in the next few days and report back with the results if I still need some help.

Thanks!! Season's Greetings!

More BSOD's

Hello,

I ran MemTest for over 7 passes with both sticks of RAM (2x256MB PC2100) and it tested OK. I also attempted to change the RAM to 1x1GB DDR400 and immediately received 0x50. (This is a Compaq Pentium 4 2.4GHZ (Socket 478) 533MHz FSB).

I think the issue is related to the USB drivers or PCI-card. I removed the drivers and let Windows re-detect the card and I am still facing the same issue. This machine has 4 USB ports on board, of which two of them are damaged, leaving 2 available which brings me to the need to using a PCI-USB Card. It's a VIA chipset, and the only other card I have around is the same card. Windows XP automatically supplies the drivers so I am not sure what else is left to do.

Please see the latest attached dumps.

Thanks very much in advance.
Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back