BSOD after graphics driver and BIOS update win 7, Alienware

Hello everyone,

thanks in advance for Your time and help.

I have recently updated my graphic card BIOS and drivers. All the Win based drivers were removed and manufacturer driver package (Catalyst) was installed. I have been having graphic issues in some older Valve titles and followed their suggestion to update the drivers. Since than I have been experiencing random BSODs with the BBCode 3b such as this:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 6153

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF88005583817
BCP3: FFFFF880080EF900
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

I have looked through the older posts and I must say I do not understand everything but it seems that the answer is located in the minidump files which were accidentaly deleted (disc cleaner went overzealous). I presume I will have to wait with the minidump until the next event but I`m wondering if You can give me any suggestions in the meantime how to resolve this issue. I`m attaching my system info in zip format.

Thanks again.
Michal

Attachments

• msinfo.zip
    58.1 KB · Views: 3
0x3B errors are usually caused by bad video card drivers. Go to Alienware's website, find your exact model and install the latest video card drivers from them, not AMD.

Minidump

Thanks for You suggestion,

I was suspecting bad drivers, my system doesn`t like the Catalyst packages. I will try to find the latest drivers but this driver I have was the one suggested by the Alienware support.

In the meantime another BSOD occured. Minidump attached.

Attachments

• 012011-14960-01.zip
    25.5 KB · Views: 4
Same 0x3B citing the ATI driver atikmdag.sys as the issue. I suggest to do the following...

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

(Also, there is no need to Zip individual files. If you only have one or two they can be attached as is. If you have 3 to 5 then go ahead and zip them into one Zip file; thanks)

I have downloaded the latest recommended driver package for my system (another Catalyst, but not the latest release from ATI) and installed them as instructed.

I hope not to see the BSOD in the foreseable future :), if I see one I will post the details here.

Thanks for Your help.
All the best
Michal

Back